By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

planer thicknesser advice

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nicky Williamson06/09/2010 13:46:47
7 forum posts
I am considering buying the Scheppach hms 2600ci planer thicknesser. I can't work out from specification info whether surface planer fence can stay in place when using the thicknesser. I don't want to have to refit fence each time I want to surface plane. Is the change over a quick and easy operation?

Can anyone comment on possible disadvantages of only having two knives in cutter block? Most of the other machines in this price bracket have 3.  thanks. Nicky

Big Al06/09/2010 15:59:09
1599 forum posts
73 photos
I bought a sheppach HMS 260 planer 10 years ago, and no the fence does not stay attached when thicknessing. To remove the fence you just pull it upwards, a matter of seconds. In fact it is a very quick operation to change from one mode to the other.

Although this planer only has 2 knives I always get a very good result from mine. One advantage of only having 2 knives is that they are cheaper to sharpen and replace.

Al 
jay 108/09/2010 17:50:12
72 forum posts
6 photos
i have one of the sheppach hms ci I have had a few planners but the the finish is secound to none great planner wish the tables were longer
Olly Parry-Jones09/09/2010 16:33:51
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't worry too much about the number of knives you have, since you'll presumably be spending time later on sanding and further preparing the machine surfaces ready for finishing. Just make sure they're sharp when you come to machine something with tricky grain, or else you could end up with a fair bit of tearout to deal with... 

Also, always feed the timber so that the knives are cutting with the grain direction, not against it. Taking shallower cuts as you approach your finished size on the thicknesser also helps.

After any thicknessing operation, make sure the areas below the table are clear of sawdust and shavings before you drop the bed back down again - otherwise, you may well find the surfacing tables are slightly out of alignment (DAMHIKT ). This is a 'fault' of all planer thicknessers, by the way.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact