By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Bookshelf help...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dan Millard22/08/2010 12:51:20
3 forum posts
Hi,

I'm new to the forums and new to woodwork in general but have started building a floor to ceiling bookshelf, similar to this project:

I've largely built the frame but I'm not sure what wood to use for the outer of it and where to source it from.  The rest of the room is in mid to deep browns so I'd like something like an oak colour finish, be that by staining or using a hardwood.

In the B&D project they use oak plywood and oak for the frame but I've tried local building merchants and they don't have much like this - largely only PSE redwood to a maximum width of 225mm (and I'd like it to be deeper than this), or plywood boards.

What options do I have in terms of the type of wood to use to ensure I get the strength and finish, and where should I source it from?

Thanks
Dan

Edited By sparky on 22/08/2010 18:41:26

Big Al22/08/2010 13:28:40
1592 forum posts
73 photos
Firstly you haven't made your profile public. In order to help you it help's if I (or anyone else on this forum) knows what country you live in, and in what county/state/province you live in. Without this information it's almost impossible to answer your question concerning where to buy your timber from.

Timber widths larger than 225mm (9") are available in hardwoods, usually widths over this size cost more. Another option would be to join boards together to obtain the width that you would require.

Oak would need to be stained to achieve a mid to deep brown. Alternatively you could use american cherry or walnut as neither of these 2 timbers would need staining.

Al 

Edited By Big Al on 22/08/2010 13:29:49

Dan Millard22/08/2010 14:25:55
3 forum posts
Sorry didn't realise I needed to make it public - should be now!  I'm in Swindon in the UK.
Big Al22/08/2010 18:35:19
1592 forum posts
73 photos
What a small world, I too am in Swindon, for hardwoods around swindon you could try jewsons in kembrey park, they stocked oak, ash and meranti the last time I went there.

Vastern timber company, at wootton bassett deal with british hardwoods and will prepare your timber to a cutting list. Too find them go through bassett and out the other side going towards lynham. Just as you come out of bassett, going over the railway line, just as you start going up the hill they are just off the main road on the right hand side.

Al 
Sparky22/08/2010 18:49:34
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Dan and welcome to this site's forum.

You may need to fill in your profile now you'e made it public.......its easy to do.

If you need help, follow this link ►► here ◄◄ then click on the first image and continue from there....

Marc
Dan Millard22/08/2010 18:51:26
3 forum posts
Thanks!  I tried Kellaway down at Kembrey Park should have looked in Jewsons while I was there.  I'll try those two and see where I get!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact