By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Router lift

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian Barber26/09/2010 16:04:46
160 forum posts
244 photos
Hi Dominic,

thanks for this really impresive video. It really does make you think twice about buying a router lift. I am going to investigate the T11 and maybe go in this direction. The problem with most router lifts is that it can be difficult to change bits without dismounting the router - a bit of a drawback at the price of these things. This video seems to be the answer but I need to look into the stability of the height adjuster since the video does not show  a height lock as has the Woodpecker Unilift.

Brian

Dominic Collings26/09/2010 16:34:23
47 forum posts
9 photos
As expliained in the video it does have a lock but it's not really needed. I guess it depends on how much vibration the finished table has. The heavier the better. I'd say my table is about 200kgs possibly more so I get no vibration that would transmit to the rise and fall mechanism. It's never moved yet but it does also have a locking lever on the plunge bars.
Brian Barber30/09/2010 20:32:02
160 forum posts
244 photos
Hi Dominic,

Having seen your video (again) I am seriously considering buying a Trend T11EK for my new router table ( I already have a portable one for my Elu router which ia amazingly good). However on looking around for the best buy I came across this review on the Axminster web site - can you comment please. Also what method do you use to fix the router underneath the table. Also is it easy to access the locking machanism from underneath the table - I can explain my design in more detail later on.

THE REVIEW (Axminster)
" Hi all, just a word of caution - please note this router CANNOT be used in an enclosed table. The Trend brochure is not very
 clear on this. I have had my router for 8 months and have found that if you mount the router in a table it does not keep the
 depth setting. It can be adjusted above the table, yes, but you have to take the router out of the table to lock that
 position (which means disconnecting the dust extraction etc., every time you want to make an adjustment). The speed control
 is also on the wrong side if you want to place the router in an enclosed cabinet. This is most inconvenient, especially as
 the machine is advertised as having the convenience of height adjustment above the table. So take note, people, it works
 only in an open table. I also think that this is a safety hazard. "

Brian

Dominic Collings30/09/2010 22:44:39
47 forum posts
9 photos
It's absolute rubbish Brian. I know three people that run T11's in tables and none of them use the lock. I've just ran a 1/2 inch rebate at 5mm deep in one pass for three drawer bottoms consecutively, probably 6 and a half meters worth an it didn't move at all. Even the trend agent at the SECC show I spoke to a few years ago said he never locks his and has never had it move. The biggest problem with the T11 is the limited plunge depth. Mount it or a 625 in a lift and the situation is worse. I once met a guy who had administers "router lift" and that suffered from chatter when using a panel raising bit. The new 4 post lifts are better but expensive. With a 625, lift and materials for the table you're easily into spindle moulder price. If you want something that heavy duty then I'd go for that instead.
Dominic Collings01/10/2010 07:50:53
47 forum posts
9 photos
Now that I've read the comment on Axminster it's impossible to put his problem into any kind of meaningful context. He says both the speed and lock are one the wrong side but they are on opposite sides of the machine so how are they both wrong? I've checked the manual and I can't find anything in it about not being suitable for and enclosed table. My suspicion is that he's using a box for a base with no door or access to the machine which is a poor design of table rather than a poor design of tool. Without any pictures of his table, for all I know he's using it mounted to a sheet of 12mm MDF on top of a shoe box. If his table is very light, the resulting vibration I accept could move the height adjust but again that's a poor table and not the fault of the tool. As for mounting it it's simply machine screws counter sunk through the top plate into the existing tapped holes In the base.
Brian Barber02/10/2010 11:59:46
160 forum posts
244 photos
Hi Dominic,

Thanks for all of your kind advice - looks like I am going to but the T11.

This photograph shows the tool storage cabinet I am going to convert into a router table. Looks about similar size to your table.
Brian

Dominic Collings02/10/2010 12:05:37
47 forum posts
9 photos
Looks perfect as a base. For the top on mine I built a perimeter frame of 2 x 4's, added an 18 mm top, trimmed the edges with about 20mm worth of hardwood then Formica over the top. Like I said it's very heavy.
Brian Barber19/10/2010 16:57:36
160 forum posts
244 photos
Hi Dominic,

just to let you know that following your excellent advice I have now purchased a T11EK. Looks an impressive bit of kit with a good router lift built in. It is going to be permanently mounted in my new router table - which I have started to convert from my old tool storage cabinet.
Tommy mc glynn 121/10/2010 00:23:42
291 forum posts
1 photos
Brian why dont you show us the bulid as you go along.
Brian Barber22/10/2010 16:58:24
160 forum posts
244 photos
Yes OK I will do.

I will set up a router table build album. It may take me a while to finish since it is not high priority but I am already on with it.

Michael Forster 222/12/2010 06:37:30
74 forum posts
47 photos
I know I'm late to the party on this, but thought I'd add my two-penn'orth. I use a Routalift (Made I think by Jessom?)  bought from Axminster a couple of years or so ago. I find it terrific and have had no problems with it at all - I stil haven't got over the luxury of just turning a handle to adjust the cut rather than squatting down - and it definitely improves quality because I can tweak the depth a hair at a time to get the cut spot-on. .

Having said that, I was in the position of already having a powerful router in a very basic table, and just needing the lift mechanism. I think that were I starting from scratch and buying a router anyway  I'd buy a Trend T11 or one of the other routers that have fine-adjustment operated from above the table as it would be a far more cost-effective solution.
thpalex alex 120/02/2016 05:42:58
1 forum posts

Also, check http://oydeals.com/woodpecker-router-tables/

Ivor the engine20/02/2016 15:11:21
270 forum posts
46 photos

More info please Alex / Brian as this is an old post,

Ivor.

Malcolm Alexander 113/09/2016 08:20:57
57 forum posts
37 photos
  1. Excellent video on the lifting. Thanks
  2. Malcolm

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact