By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Router lift

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bernard Doughty22/08/2010 10:29:36
14 forum posts
Does anybody have any experience of this Axminster router elevator http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-the-axminster-router-elevator-prod808144/, or any other type of router lift? I am intending up-grading my router table and am looking towards one of these.

Many thanks, Bernard. 
Doug22/08/2010 12:34:05
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Hi Bernard.

I`ve heard mixed reactions of these types of lifts, though don`t have personal experience of them.
For £163 i`d be more tempted to buy a trend t11 with built in raiser, so giving me a dedicated table router. Though if you already have a couple of routers, the lift may be the way to go. 

Baz 
Big Al22/08/2010 12:47:19
1601 forum posts
73 photos
Personally I have never used a router lift in my table. I own a freud 2000 router which has a fine height adjuster as standard, and this suits my needs very well.

Like Baz, I would not contemplate spending that much money on a lift.

Al 
Oddjob24/08/2010 12:50:36
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Hi Bernard and all

I was in the Nuneaton Axminster store yesterday - its very impressive toyshop I must say.  I had a look at the router lift you are interested in and was quite impressed.  It is very well made and operates very smoothly.  It was displayed mounted in the Axminster Professional Router table  making a whole unit I would plove to have - one day maybe!  Whether it is worth the price depends on how much use you may have for it - and your finances of course!

For now I'll stick with my little Trend router table and a trusty scissor jack to do the lifting.

Richard

PS - I tried to put a couple of smilies in here but got the message "The area you are attempting to access is forbidden."  Has anyone else had this problem?
Oddjob24/08/2010 13:03:19
1635 forum posts
79 photos

It is working again now!!!

Richard
Bernard Doughty24/08/2010 20:10:51
14 forum posts
Many thanks guys for your comments. I know it seems quite an expensive piece of kit but taking into account that in order to use my cupboard door making cutters, I will need to at least buy a new router base with a larger hole than I own at present, and not to mention the need that I will have to make myself my own router table to house it, I think with everything taken into consideration, and especially after what  Richard has said, the router elevator looks like it will be a good buy and will certainly enhance the ease of working with my proposed new router table. 

Thank you all for your combined help and views and I will let you know how my new table turns out.

Cheers, Bernard.- 
Doug24/08/2010 20:44:34
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Hi Bernard.

Something i remember from talking about these lifts was that some don`t have a lock, so the router can move up or down slightly due to the vibration of the router & the action of cutting.

I would recommend you verify that your intended purchase has a locking facility or a means of preventing movement of the cutter height when in use.

Good luck with the new router table build, take some photos we all love to see other folks builds.

Best wishes.

Baz  

Edited By baz on 24/08/2010 20:45:37

chris baggaley25/08/2010 18:29:21
7 forum posts
Hi I am told the wood rat lifter is very good but I can not find a supplier, can any one help
Chris
Julian25/08/2010 19:46:42
553 forum posts
28 photos
Hi Chris,
  Do you mean the Woodrat Plunge Bar ? I find this very good. It does give you a lot of extra control over the plunge capability of the router, have a look at the woodrat web site under Plunge Bar, there are several types to fit any number of routers and are about £30 plus a bit. Link Here Woodrat

Julian

Edited By Julian on 25/08/2010 19:51:49

chris baggaley25/08/2010 22:09:46
7 forum posts
Sorry yes I do mean the plunge bar. I have tries their sit but the links dont lead to site that stoke it.

Chris
Julian26/08/2010 20:00:04
553 forum posts
28 photos
Chris
  I am supprised that you cant get one from the woodrat store, that's where I got mine from. I did it all on the website.
Have another go and click on the store or you could even give them a ring, they are very helpful.

Julian
Bernard Doughty26/08/2010 22:56:03
14 forum posts
Hi Baz,

Regarding what you were saying about the possibility of the router lift moving up or down a bit due to the vibrations under power, well I called Axminster and they said they had not had any complaints. 

Looking at the lift mechanism of four revolving threaded corner posts, it looks firm and sturdy but there does not seem to be a locking device. Whether one is needed I'm sorry I don't know. It would be interesting to hear from somebody who has one and to hear of their findings. The lift mechanism on my Ely planer thicknesser is very similar in design but is activated by a crank that turnes two gears set at 90º to each other. It does not move under power.

Looking over on some US forums, I have seen that quite a few woodworkers have either bought router risers or have updated to them. I wonder if that means that they use the router more than us, or have more models on the market from to chose from,  are more affluent. or it is simply more the "norm" to have one. What do you guys think? Do you think having a router lift would be a worthy addition to your workshop?

Bernard. 
Brian Barber27/08/2010 23:25:47
160 forum posts
244 photos
I am pleased that this topic has been raised (bit of a pun) since I have been thinking of building a top class router table including a router lift for some time now. The Woodpecker Unilift (sold by Rutlands) gets really good reviews but is fairly expensive - the best always is. It is made in America so I was wondering if anyone out there from the USA or anywhere else has one of these and can comment on it. I was thinking of combining it with the DeWalt 625.

Brian

Bernard Doughty16/09/2010 13:50:29
14 forum posts
Hello Brian,

I thought you might be interested in viewing the following: It is the new router lift by Woodpecker that is operated by a side handle. www.woodpeck.com/sidewinder.html

Cheers Bernard. 
Dominic Collings25/09/2010 07:28:33
47 forum posts
9 photos
Brian I'd save the money and buy a T11. It's just a Dewalt 625 anyway but with a built in lift. Take a look here. 

Edited By sparky on 25/09/2010 12:02:00

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Craft Supplies
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Robert Sorby
Wood Workers Workshop
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact