All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

The Woodworker Magazine

The Woodworker Magazine

In this month's issue of The Woodworker - September 2010

Colin Goddard20/08/2010 19:52:41
1 forum posts
Hi everyone, I''m very new at this so please bear with me. Three weeks ago I purchased a bandsaw from B&Q Bolton in Lancashire it is supposedly their own make (Performance Power) I got it home and put it together, (minimum set up required) and used it to help me construct the hall table shown in an earlier issue of the woodworker and the tear-drop box in the same issue. Anyway, today I was fiddling about with the blade tension and guess what, yes you are right it snapped... Oh sh*t. Right, back to B&Q. After a trip round a few of the local shops to buy a replacement blade, all to no avail. So B&Q it was then, along to the tool section I hobbled, (Did I mention that I''m disabled by the way, no matter.) Eventually I managed to get there and looked around for an assistant, finally locating the lovely Rossanne and related to her my dilemma. "I don''t think that we do spares for band saws." She said. WHAT SXZ TRXZ are you talking about I replied in as calmer manner as I could muster. It''s one of your own machines isn''t it? Yes she replied but we dont sell the spares for them. We only sell blades for the Dyson machines, but guess what folks, they don''t sell Dyson bandsaws in B&Q... So to cut a long story short, back home I waddled (Well I had been out a while and waddling comes after hobbling.) I decided to phone the number in the back of the manual, and guess what B&Q service didn''t supply spares for their own machines either, but the lady at B&Q did give me a number to call (Wrong one.) Phoned back, eventually got the right number for True cut. (I thought it was a hair dressers.) and they finally came up with the replacement blade, so I bought three, 1 x 10mm and 2 x 6mm. So ladies and gentlemen, a word of caution before you buy a piece of machinery. Check the spares availability before you part with your hard earned cash. Happy woodworking to you all...

Colin Goddard.
Olly Parry-Jones20/08/2010 20:43:29
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Hi Colin and welcome to the forum.

Some very sound advice, there.

To be honest, I see it as a kind of blessing that B&Q don't sell bandsaw blades - chances are, if they did sell any, they would've be much good! They certainly wouldn't compare to the blades you'll be receiving from Tru-Cut; of whom I've heard some very good things.

Another good thing about bandsaws is that there aren't as many moving parts as there are on some other machines. With anything that does break, you should be able to buy spare belts (belts, bearings, etc.) very easily from other sources. Also, many of these cheaper machines are identical to others sounds under different brand names, painted in a different colour.
Pete Hughes24/08/2010 19:57:30
12 forum posts
Yes Colin, I've had similar experiences with B&Q myself, but only when there was no alternative.  I try to use a small local business whenever possible, that is if I cannot fix it myself.

Pete
Jack Clark12/09/2010 19:46:04
2 forum posts
17 photos

I have the MacAlistair BQ planer/thicknesser  and the main warehouse BQ in Aberdeen does not stock the replacement blades, but a smaller one up the road does!!!  
Cedric Wheeler13/09/2010 22:42:46
154 forum posts
31 photos
Hi Colin

Blades for bandsaws are mostly of standard sizes, so all that you need to know is the length of the blade. Many well known tool suppliers stock bandsaw blades and I buy mine on line from Axminster tools, but I have also used the ones obtainable from Screwfix

Cedric 
Ron Davis14/09/2010 12:42:08
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Hamiltons ao Dure edge will make them to measure, lok them up in Google

Ron
Olly Parry-Jones14/09/2010 13:57:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos
For anyone interested, I highly recommend Tuff Saws for bandsaw blades. Their thin-kerf blades from the 'Supertuff' range are excellent. They put less of a strain on the frame of even a cheap bandsaw and they also seem to cut a bit faster than standard blades (you know, it's like the easy of driving a pin in compared to banging in a nail ).
John Turner 201/10/2010 22:06:01
4 forum posts
Your posting benefitted me very much Colin.  Thinking of buying a B&Q bandsaw I went on google to try and find some reviews, came across this brilliant forum and your posting.  Like yourself I find it amazing that B&Q do not stock blades for their own bandsaws.  E-bay is a possible answer, all you need to know is the required length, width and tpi.  I recently bought one for my last bandsaw for £6 before it went up in smoke.  It was a very old one left to me by ny late uncle, so it's been a good servant.  Happy woodworking 
Alan T.03/10/2010 12:32:33
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hi Colin, I can back up what Olly says about Tuffsaw quality and service.both are excellent.  Cheers   Alan T.
clifford sands18/10/2010 18:25:47
3 forum posts
hi i have just come across this post about B&Q bandsaws I have just purchased one from them in a sale cheap. just to see what you can do with them. I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not you can use wider blades on them as long as the wheels are wide enough. Mine came with a 1425mm x 6.35mm x 0.035 blade could i put a 10mm blade in and try or would it be dangerous
 thanks for any advice Cliff Sands
Big Al18/10/2010 19:27:57
1601 forum posts
73 photos
you should be able to put a 10mm blade in. If in doubt consult your machine manual, if you have one. You should be able to adjust the guides and tracking to suit a 10mm blade.

Al 
Ron Davis18/10/2010 19:53:48
1619 forum posts
201 photos
I go along with Al, A wider blade takes no more energy to cut than a narrower one The mail difference is the diameter of a circle you could cut with it.

Ron
clifford sands19/10/2010 07:11:13
3 forum posts
Thanks for the help the machine i have states a 1/4in blade is fitted I don't know if that is the max allowed but i am now going to measure the width of the wheel to see if a 3/8 would fit. The worry i had was if it came of the wheel whether it would be danerous or not i haven't had it long enough yet to see what happens if one breaks or comes of the wheel
Thanks again
Cliff
Big Al19/10/2010 07:18:27
1601 forum posts
73 photos
The worse that happens if it either brakes or comes of the wheel is that it will usually go with a bang and make you fill your pants as you wont be expecting it.

As long as you use the machine with the doors closed the blade cant go anywhere.

Al 

Ron Davis19/10/2010 21:34:34
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Think about it, the 3/8" blade is wider than the 1/4" blade and consequenytly has a wider weld area. The only blade I have ever broken on my saw was a 1/4" one and no I did not fill my pants, just made the air blue!

Ron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact