By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

home grown material

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
DT19/08/2010 19:39:41
10 forum posts
Evening all, can any one tell me how long it take for a log to dry out enough to be able to use on a project. I had an apple tree in the garden which has been cut down some of the branches are 6 to 8 inches across, may be they cant be used but it seems a shame to waste timber
Any help would be appreciated.
DT
Sparky19/08/2010 20:17:13
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi DT

My neighbour gave me some cut offs from his Plum tree and roughly the same width as yours.....Usually to season green wood, its 1 year per 1 inch thickness but, as I was going to turn them, I had left them to dry in the shed for around 2 months and they had been end sealed too (PVA glue can be used). Cut them down to around 10 inches depth....or to suit depending on what your going to make....candle holders, vase, small bowls, coasters etc.

This is what came out of one log

Grain looked like an Owls face!

From some Sycamore branches...........

Candle holder..

Plum goblet...........

Just some ideas , hope it helps

Marc 
DT19/08/2010 20:32:13
10 forum posts
Thanks Sparky, all the pictures look very impresive.
At the moment I'm not sure what I wont to make , but a friend of mine wanted some to turn some replacement chisle handles, would they be strong enough of would they split ?
DT

Edited By DT on 19/08/2010 20:38:13

Sparky19/08/2010 20:45:53
7631 forum posts
22 photos
As I've never turned or made anything with Apple, I wouldn't like to say its good for chisel handles.
I think the wood is quite hard and you would need some brass rings both top and base of the handle to help stop any splitting.........if there is enough wood, why not try making one and having a play......it can only do two things, not split and split!

Hopefully some other members will know more about the wood..

Good luck anyway

Marc
Richard Hughes19/08/2010 21:31:39
15 forum posts
11 photos
I made a carver's mallet out of apple and it has given me good service.  I also found it good for making handles for carving gouges.  It is hard and close grained and turns well.  However, it moves quite a bit when drying out so any planks are liable to distort if not very well seasoned.  I believe apple was traditionally used for making the teeth of the gears in windmills and watermills.
Sparky19/08/2010 22:31:40
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Richard and welcome to the forum.

Many thanks for your input, very helpful

Marc
Ralph Harvey19/08/2010 23:04:10
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Apple is a great timber to use for tool handles, but it will need to be dry. i was always told to season a year for each inch in thickness, so rip it down to slightly over the size required and store, in reality it will depend on how and where it is stored, so check regularly.

As Sparky has shown it is also great to turn wet, unseasoned, one last thing, dont just keep the main trunk you can use the smaller branches too, appls, pears, mushrooms even some of the tool handles will come from smaller branches, they dont take as long to season and they dont split as much either

Good luck

Ralph
DT20/08/2010 07:33:08
10 forum posts
Thanks everyone for your help, one last thing, Is apple/pear and the like any good for furniture ? Drawer fronts and the like
Richard Hughes20/08/2010 17:00:14
15 forum posts
11 photos
I made a small box out of what I thought was well seasoned apple and it twisted so much that the lid wouldn't fit.  It is an attractive wood but because of this tendency to twist I would think about using it as sawn veneers rather than solid boards in future.  It needs pilot holes for screws or it is likely to split.
Ron Davis20/08/2010 19:47:38
1596 forum posts
201 photos
Usual wood for handles is either ash or box. I havent tried apple so it will be interesting to see the outcome.

Sparky, we will make a turner of you yet, the pictures were great!

Ron
Alan T.24/08/2010 19:30:27
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Marc, These articles are just great. Hiding your light under a bushel I reckon.  Well done.   Alan T.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact