By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

how to loose your fingers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sparky01/12/2010 19:06:52
7631 forum posts
22 photos
I think the best health & safety advise to give is to get someone else to do it! lol
jack dusty14/12/2010 17:46:34
12 forum posts

As a self taught and keen hobby woodworker,   I believe it is imperative to have the greatest respect for all woodworking activities and with machines in particular, be they fixed or hand held.
        I have yet to discover any of my woodworking tools that can detect the difference between wood and bone.
         A previous next door neighbour and friend of mine went into business building pine furniture,  he had made a sub fence for his very posh spindle moulder from a pine off cut.
         Whilst putting a substantial moulding on a large section of timber and using the sub fence, he said " there was a bang, I stopped pushing the timber through, looked down, and checked that all of my fingers were there (machine still running!!), I carried on, ???,  and felt a flick, there was blood every where".
          He is left with a thumb on his right hand, all fingers on that hand were taken off below the knuckle. 
          The pine fence had cracked/split and was dragged into the cutter block, with his fingers.
           A complete lack of common sense,and respect, I would use mdf/ply in preference for a sub fence, and I would have switched off the machine to check what had caused the bang.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact