By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

how to loose your fingers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ged Meager19/08/2010 13:32:32
222 forum posts
In my recent issue[231] of Good wood I was horrified to see on page14 Andy King  using a hand held electric saw with only his right hand he looks dead set on loosing his finger on his Left hand as they are laid out neatly to the side of the saw as he pushes it through a thick tile. I think this is probably one of the most stupid things |I have seen in my favorite mag. Now some of you may think I'm being paranoid but I can assure you I'm not  In a previous life I spent 22 years in the Royal Navy Medical service the last two I was running the medical department at Yeovilton Airbase. when one day a chippy came in saying excitedly can someone help me. Then he opened up his left fist which had  his 4 fingers from his right hand laying al nicely lined up and cut off neat and square. He'd been usung a similar saw one handed when it hit something hard and jumped the rest as they say is history SO PLEASE NO MORE PICS OF PEOPLE USING THESE SAWS ONE HANDED Despit the frozen peas and a blue light ambulance ride to hospital the poor fellow is still without his fingers.
ANDY YOU OF ALL PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW BETTER
GED MEAGER
Sparky19/08/2010 16:13:57
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Ged

Andy is using the saw with his right hand and his left is resting on the tile to steady it which is roughly 10-15 inches away from the blade,???

I cant see where your problem is..........the blade on the saw is right under the handle which is in Andy's hand..

Marc
Big Al19/08/2010 17:17:10
1596 forum posts
73 photos
I haven't seen the picture, but I have had an accident with a hand held circular saw which resulted in me having to spend 2 days in hospital, surgery, 6 weeks off work, (I was self employed at the time, so no work, no money).

On the plus side I still have my thumb, and 85% feeling and use-age, and it taught me a vital lesson, tools bite, and when they do the end result is usually horrible, so no I dont take any short cuts.

Al 
Sparky19/08/2010 17:38:40
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Here is Andy using the saw. Hand is away from the blade and is steadying the tile when cutting.
Big Al19/08/2010 18:13:55
1596 forum posts
73 photos
Doesn't look like his hand is a risk. Looking at the colour of his head I think he stands more chance of being mistaken for a baked bean, from a distance. lol.

Al 
Sparky19/08/2010 18:16:02
7631 forum posts
22 photos
George Arnold19/08/2010 19:21:53
1834 forum posts
191 photos
His hands look safe. but where is the mask and dust extractor cutting stone is a very messy dusty job . his footwear dosn't look up to safety regulation either. and no hard hat! or ear defenders.

George

Edited By George Arnold on 19/08/2010 19:23:10

Sparky19/08/2010 19:56:25
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Not to worry George, I'm sure he is wearing his reinforced jockstrap!
Andy King19/08/2010 21:16:07
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
Hi Guys,

I can see where you are coming from with regards to safety.
I actually set the shot up for the picture as I wanted to try and show the saw making  some dust to show the efficiency of the dust collector and didn't even spot my hand wasn't on the side handle when I captioned it and loaded it on our server - the joys of self timers on cameras, but not an excuse.
My actual test cuts were done with both hands on the saw, the tile held by me kneeling on the work, and it was wide enough to keep me in control. Any narrower stuff and I wouldn't have entertained it.
I have to say that the saw, with its low cutting RPM, plus being fitted with a diamond blade and ultra dry stone, the chances of binding are very minimal, and the cut is slower than timber, so the feedback on what is happening when cutting is easier to suss out.
Dustwise, the cuts are outside, and with the saw having a built in dust collector, I wanted to see how efficient by looking how much dust was escaping - I commented on this and how little it was in comparison to the clouds released by an angle grinder. The dust never got into the position around my head for goggles or mask, and there were no loose chips flying either.
An angle grinder would be a completely different story!
Although the picture doesn't show it, the design of the saw sits the user behind, rather than over it in most instances usless you choose to work directly over it.
Footwear? Guilty as charged your honour!
Hardhat? Again, guilty, but I was at home not on a building site, so hopefully I'll be forgiven for that one?
Now the baked bean comment...
Back when I was building my extension, I re-tiled my house at the same time, and whilst re-bedding the ridge, my wife and eldest daughter Charlotte were in the front garden talking to a friend.
As it was a glorious summer, my head was very brown and as I got up to the ridge and my head appeared over the top, Charlotte looked up and said 'Ooh look, a giant Malteser!'

Anyway, apologies all, I'll be more diligent from now on!

cheers,
Andy

Sparky19/08/2010 21:48:02
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Ooh look, a giant Malteser!'

ROFLMAO!!
dennis wake19/08/2010 23:04:55
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi ALL
  if i remember rightly that helth and safty is not in place in the home envirament un less you have out sourced the job to a company and then it is deemed to be his or her work site and then it is govend under the helth and safty at work  reg's.
dennis
Ged Meager20/08/2010 13:39:15
222 forum posts
Looking at the replies to my post I can see there are a few budding casualties out there As for his hand being away from the blade if you'd had one of  these machines kick up on you you'd know how far they can jump when under load. I don't want to get into a long argument with anybody on this subject but those machines have two handle for a reason.  and when youv'e seen four fingers laying in the palm of a hand you realise what it is.  My stomach churns every time I see such a picture  So lets not be a bunch of your never a woodworker till youv'e lost  a fingure guys. Having worked in many casualties   MOST ACCIDENTS HAPPEN IN THE HOME.
GED
arryB19/11/2010 15:52:08
38 forum posts
6 photos
Ged Meager

Hi Ged

I've read all the comments and as an ex squady and ex leading fireman I am with you all the away.  YOU ARE SO CORRECT SIR!

Yes! H&S a lot of the time is a pain in the back end, but there are aspects of using machinery that don't need H&S intervention, just plain old fashioned common sense.

If the public saw what we were faced with all to often and most of the time, preventable, you would not get comments like, 'well we were at home'  All the more reason for using your common!!

arryB
Gwilym6801/12/2010 06:23:37
14 forum posts
36 photos
Prevention is better than cure...Ged, You are making a very good point with regards to safety etc, I pride myself in taking all possible steps to reduce accident when working, however like the saying goes, accidents will happen!! we can only strive to reduce the risks by taking - time, care and preventative steps. In January this year my table saw bit back! and yes all safety measures were being followed, it all happened so quick and before I could say "anyone seen my fingers" I was in hospital having my left middle finger re-attached and left index finger stitched up. Unfortunately the finger reattachment failed and was removed a week later.  anyway the moral of the story is... Health and Safety shouldn't be taken lightly, and all safety precautions should be taken to prevent accidents, however like I stated earlier they are only preventative measures and accidents unfortunately still do happen.
George Arnold01/12/2010 15:09:15
1834 forum posts
191 photos
A mate of mine eight weeks ago managed to run a router cutter between his thumb and fore finger, very nasty ,worse than a clean cut as it removed the flesh, in the Sun today is an accident with a nail gun in America the gun went of and fired the nail into the blokes head just stopping short of the brain nasty.

George

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact