By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Tool Share Schemes

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
SPG09/08/2010 13:26:37
50 forum posts
1 photos
Has anyone ever come across anything like a local tool share scheme where people can make use of someone elses equipment.

The LETS schemes quite often have drills, jig saws etc but I've never seen anything bigger.

The reason for the question is that I need to do some bandsawing but don't have one and don't fancy even attempting halving wood with a handsaw or cutting a curve with a coping saw.

Steve
Oddjob09/08/2010 13:46:03
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Hi Steve

I've never heard of such a scheme but I can see the potential benefits.  Of course, portable tools such as you mention are readily available for hire but the bigger and heavier items such as bandsaws and planer/thicknessers are not, so far as I am aware anyway.  I suppose  though that you are looking for a scheme that is "free" to members in which they use the equipment in each other's workshops?  That I see as far more problematical.

Personally, I do not and would not like to either lend or borrow woodworking tools.  The potential for personal injury is far too great a responsibility for the tool owner in my view.  The personal grief I would feel if someone hurt themselves using my tools is in itself enough to deter me from such a scheme.  Furthermore, in this highly litigious society the old condition of "use at your own risk" stands for nothing.  You could easily be sued for every penny you have - and more besides!

I would be pleased to hear other members comments on this subject.

Richard
Ivor the engine09/08/2010 16:09:38
270 forum posts
46 photos
I agree with what you have said Richard,
Ivor.
Sparky09/08/2010 16:23:13
7631 forum posts
22 photos
I also agree with Richard and in this day and age, theft is also a problem.

If you want large work cutting down to size, why not try your local wood supplier as they usually have the facilities?

Marc
Big Al09/08/2010 17:35:27
1602 forum posts
73 photos
I wouldn't be at all interested in a scheme like this. My tools and machinery have taken me a long time to collect, well over 10 years, and the thought of allowing someone else near them horrifies me.

The other problem that springs to mind is that if someone else, broke one of my tools or machines they could just shrug their shoulders, say "oh well" and walk away leaving me with either a repair, or replacement bill.

Not everyone is honorable enough to pay for repair or replacement.

Al 
dennis wake10/08/2010 22:24:32
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi All
   i to would not like a skeem like this. i have lent small tools to friends at work ( electric plainer ) i also stipulated that if they brok it they replace it and he was ok with that but i would not lend any thing of a substancial cost to any one .
dennis
Ralph Harvey10/08/2010 23:32:51
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Sadly i would have to agree with all the above i just couldnt take take the risk that some of my tools could be put out of action through someone elses carelesness, accidental or not. (even more sad when my tools are sat gathering dust at the moment !)

I can also see that a scheme like this would be a great way to help less fortunate people who would like to develope an interest in the craft. shame there is no obveous way to start a scheme like this, as i know from experience that local timber merchants and joinery shops can cost a fortune to do the simple little things, in all fareness they do have to make a living from it.

Though there are non near me, as woodturners there is access to clubs and i know there are a couple of Marquetry and carving clubs too but why no general woodwork clubs ? members could get help and tips from other members who might find the time to do odd favours for less fortunate members ? just a thought ?

Ralph

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact