By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Dust Control

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian Pugh05/11/2008 11:38:00
6 forum posts

I work in a 5metre square double garage. I have a Record 200c table saw, a Electra Beckum 316 bandsaw, router table and the usual power tools. I am a hobby woodworker and intend to spend quite a bit of time in my workshop. My question is what type of extraction do I fit into my workshop? Fixed or portable? I currently have a Record drum extractor with a 100mm hose that I bought a few years ago but it does not do a very good job especially on fine MDF dust. I also want to purchase a power tool dust extractor that captures MDF dust that I can use on site or in the workshop, any recomendations?

Thanks for any help you give me.

Brian

Doug05/11/2008 18:43:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Brian if you use the search forum facility above, you will find a number of threads that have covered this subject extensively.

Baz.

Don Heard20/11/2008 21:17:00
4 forum posts

I am looking for a tablesaw jig that allows me to taper a square section of stock like a table leg.

It consists of two sections of 2by1 or anything near and about 36in long. These are hinged at one end

a fixed semi circle of metal cut out in the centre to allow a guide fixed to one section at the other end

to move along the centre of the guide and the other end fixed. This will allow the 2 sections to open at one end and the angle determined and then a wing nut tightened onto the section via the metal curve.

I am sorry for not being the best at describing this jig, but if anybody knows of this jig they will recognise  my description. I only require a description of how to hold the stock in the jig in order to maintain safety when making the cut 

Heres hoping.   Don Heard

Doug20/11/2008 21:50:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Don,

At the opposite end to the hinge a stop block is fixed to the jig, the piece of timber that is to be tapered is placed up againest this then the jig & timber pushed through the saw.

Don Heard21/11/2008 19:08:00
4 forum posts

Baz,

Thankyou for such a prompt reply.  I now have a good idea in my minds eye of how to assemble the jig.

There is one query though, Once the jig plus stock are being pushed through the saw, should there be some sort of anti-kick back device fitted. I cannot see  how as the angle set on the jig would prevent this being fitted.

Regards  Don

Brian Pugh05/11/2008 11:38:00
6 forum posts

I work in a 5metre square double garage. I have a Record 200c table saw, a Electra Beckum 316 bandsaw, router table and the usual power tools. I am a hobby woodworker and intend to spend quite a bit of time in my workshop. My question is what type of extraction do I fit into my workshop? Fixed or portable? I currently have a Record drum extractor with a 100mm hose that I bought a few years ago but it does not do a very good job especially on fine MDF dust. I also want to purchase a power tool dust extractor that captures MDF dust that I can use on site or in the workshop, any recomendations?

Thanks for any help you give me.

Brian

Doug05/11/2008 18:43:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Brian if you use the search forum facility above, you will find a number of threads that have covered this subject extensively.

Baz.

Don Heard20/11/2008 21:17:00
4 forum posts

I am looking for a tablesaw jig that allows me to taper a square section of stock like a table leg.

It consists of two sections of 2by1 or anything near and about 36in long. These are hinged at one end

a fixed semi circle of metal cut out in the centre to allow a guide fixed to one section at the other end

to move along the centre of the guide and the other end fixed. This will allow the 2 sections to open at one end and the angle determined and then a wing nut tightened onto the section via the metal curve.

I am sorry for not being the best at describing this jig, but if anybody knows of this jig they will recognise  my description. I only require a description of how to hold the stock in the jig in order to maintain safety when making the cut 

Heres hoping.   Don Heard

Doug20/11/2008 21:50:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Don,

At the opposite end to the hinge a stop block is fixed to the jig, the piece of timber that is to be tapered is placed up againest this then the jig & timber pushed through the saw.

Don Heard21/11/2008 19:08:00
4 forum posts

Baz,

Thankyou for such a prompt reply.  I now have a good idea in my minds eye of how to assemble the jig.

There is one query though, Once the jig plus stock are being pushed through the saw, should there be some sort of anti-kick back device fitted. I cannot see  how as the angle set on the jig would prevent this being fitted.

Regards  Don

TonTay22/02/2013 19:50:24
17 forum posts

Hello everybody, I noticed that Brian Pugh in 2008 ask a question on dust control, I to have been trying to solve this problem and found a filter by Microclene (CL420) as this been used by anyone? if so does it work and are you satisfied with results.

Regards Tontay.

Derek Lane23/02/2013 17:39:56
3215 forum posts
1002 photos

Hi TonTay the Microlene filter is ideal for the fine dust. You will need to leave it running for a little after you finish work in the shed just to make sure you clear all the small particles. Make sure it is suitable size for the space you intend to use it in.

On top of this a chip collector would also be advised.

TonTay24/02/2013 20:09:26
17 forum posts

Hi Derek, Thanks for the reply. I have wiil be placing an order for one tomorrow.

Regards Tontay.

TonTay25/03/2013 21:16:26
17 forum posts

Hi, Has anyone got a Ryobi ETS1526AL table saw, if so have you tried to combat the dust problem especially from the blade guard. I have been thinking of trying to put an hose connector on the top of the plastic cover to see if it would help. If somebody has tried to do this would you please let me know how and is it successful.

Regards Tontay.

daveO26/03/2013 14:17:04
250 forum posts
32 photos

Hi

Yes I had the "SC" model and dust was terrible

First rip out that stupid cowel that goes around the blade indide the saw and remove the poxy flexi pipe that connects to it, all it is doing is allowing dust to gather in the cowel and then flicks it back up on to the table via the blade.

Then build a wooden plenum chamber that sits inside the leg frame and so that the flange of the chamber sandwiches between the leg frame and the saw body,fit a 100mm outlet and connect to a good extractor, it also a goood idea to fit an inspection hatch on the side. This does make a big difference, but then it should do as by ryobi;s own addmission there extraction system is only 35% effecient.

As for the blade guard I did fit a 35mm port to it but fast found that because the riving knife is so flimsy, the weight of the suction hose pulled it to one side and obstucted the cut.

I can't show you any pics as I have sold mine recently on e bay "thats got to give a clue" and now deleted the pictures.

All in all the chamber will work , but you will still get some dust around but a lot less of the smaller harmful stuff HTH

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact