By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

First Pens

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Oddjob29/07/2010 13:05:55
1635 forum posts
79 photos
The BIG birthday has been and gone.  Nothing to shout about in the way of celebrations but I did get the threatened pen kit.  This is the one.  The pens in the picture are the first results.  The middle one is from one of the blanks included in the kit, (possibly oak?), the top one is something from my scrap box and the bottom is from a Corian blank that I got with a bag of bits from Craft Supplies a couple of years ago.

At the reduced price the kit is decent value but, as Baz suggested, all that is really required is a 7mm drill, a mandrel and and trimmer.  The drill supplied was bent and un-useable but an email to Rutlands and a couple of days for post each way and it was sorted.  Well done Rutlands!  The blanks and pen polish supplied are not very good but adequate for first attempts I suppose.

Making pens from straightforward plain blanks is pretty boring but ok for a few cheap Christmas pressies.  I guess the interesting work will come when I have a go with my own laminated blanks - similar to the brick pattern one that Baz made in his excellent ''How To.''

Watch this space.

Richard 
Dave Atkinson29/07/2010 14:44:03
672 forum posts
115 photos
Nice pens Richard.

Belated happy birthday as well. 

I make them for sale at craft fairs of which I only do a few each year.  at Christmas time they always sell well at about £7 each.  It's not a huge profit and you have to set up a mini production line to make it pay. 

Enjoy the laminating - looking forward to seeing the results.

Cheers Dave 

dennis wake29/07/2010 16:05:20
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Oddjob
      you have done a grand job of the pens. well done
   dennis
Sparky29/07/2010 19:05:56
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Great job Richard.

You say these are boring but, you have to start somewhere and these are in fine shape. Look forward to your other pens....plenty of designs when laminating. Good luck and well done.

Marc
George Arnold30/07/2010 22:06:34
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Richard
Belated birthday wishes, What's it like to be that old

Like the pens very good for first attempt, now you have to keep up the standard.

Talking of pens My Milwaukee prize has just run out of ink,

Best wishes George
Julian31/07/2010 13:51:08
556 forum posts
28 photos
Hi Richard Happy Birthday ,

I had a birthday once and decided not to bother again. I took the other half to a craft fair in Porthleven, Cornwall last week because it was raining and there was a guy selling home made pens not too dissimilar to the ones that you have in your picture. However the quality of the ones in your pictures look much higher than the ones I saw so well done and keep up the good work.

Julian

Oddjob01/08/2010 18:57:35
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Thanks for all the good wishes and compliments gents.  They're much appreciated.

George, why do you ask?  Perhaps it's so long ago that you have forgotten yours????

Richard
Derek Lane02/08/2010 17:40:09
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
Just got back from one off my rallies and seen these Richard very well done three nice pens good shape and not to bulky. Like the pattern on the Corian pen.

Congradulations on the BIG ONE (is that 21 again)
Alan T.03/08/2010 19:49:47
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Richard, Many more big ones for you is our hope and well done with the pens. Does anyone know of a cheap reliable source of Corian pen blanks? cheers   Alan T.
George Arnold03/08/2010 19:51:42
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Richard

It's that long even my pen has run out of ink

George
Doug03/08/2010 20:16:13
3415 forum posts
35 photos
They look great Richard, very well done, i look forward to the next ones.

Alan, i have a large off cut of white speckled corian at the moment, which you are welcome to a piece of. I regularly travel down the A42/M42, if your part of Leicestershire is any where near that road?  PM me if it`s of any use.

George, it`s not the ink in your pen you have to worry about  .

Best wishes all

Baz  
Alan T.06/08/2010 19:25:42
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Baz, Thanks very much. I have sent a P.M.  Cheers    Alan T.
Ron Davis06/08/2010 20:20:11
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Alan, I have just looked on ebay and there are loads. I have bought from there and made one or two pens which turned out well. You will need either TCut or metal polish for the final shine.

Ron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact