By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

expensive tools

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
charlie012626/07/2010 20:02:57
1 forum posts
Hi there I am all new to this having only just taken this hobby up. The problem I am finding is that I would like to buy all the best tools but living in the real world paying £300 plus for a Band saw when I can only afford £100 It would be a great help if you could do a list of cheaper tools such as which is the best Jigsaw for £60 .Even a list of which tools youthink are best dowe buy a jigsaw or bandsaw .really the tools you think are nessecary.other than that i find the magazine great
Brian Barber27/07/2010 12:58:54
161 forum posts
244 photos
Hi Adrian,

sorry to say but this is not a particularly cheap hobby. Wood is expensive and so are tools. My best advice is to buy the most expensive that you can afford, especially for edge tools such as chisels and hand planes. If new is too expensive then but second hand but only good well known brands. Cheap unknown chisels, for example, are usually only any use for opening tins of paint - even that can be risky.

Best of luck
Brian
Joe O 327/07/2010 14:37:50
203 forum posts
Hi Adrian,
Firstly welcome to the forum. The tools you need will depend on the particular branch (pardon the pun) of woodworking you intend to follow. While i would agree with most of what Brian wrote, you could go for mid priced tools, build up skill and confidence and then graduate up. AVIID CHEAP TOOLS like the plague.  Who ever coined the phrase " A bad workman blames his tools" didn't work in wood. It is easy to do a bad job with good or bad tools it is ALMOST impossible to do quality work with  inferior/bad tools.

The members here will i am sure be only too willing to offer help and advice when asked.

Joe.
Ron Davis27/07/2010 20:52:27
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Dont rush  out and buy all the tools you think you will need, some very pricey tools will gather dust! Buy as you need them and buy well

Ron
Big Al28/07/2010 06:30:16
1604 forum posts
73 photos
Going back to your post where you state that £300 plus for a bandsaw is too much, and that you can only afford £100 for a bandsaw, my advice to you is too either save up and buy a bandsaw that will do what you want it to, rather than buy an expensive toy, because that is all you will get for a £100, or dont bother.

Even £300 will only buy you a cheap machine. If you are really serious about woodwork, and depending on what type of woodworking you intend to do, you will need to spend quite a bit of money on tools and machinery. My collection of tools and machinery has taken me well over 10 years to collect, and there are still tools that I would like buy now.

Al 
Derek Lane28/07/2010 17:33:10
3219 forum posts
1004 photos
I was very lucky that most of my main tools I managed to buy at cost when i was working.
 Those that i did not have(after having to pack up due to ill health) I have brought second hand.
 You can get some good tools this way and sometimes at a low price enabling you to buy two for the price of one

I was lucky to pick this up recently for £30

So be patient and as said before buy as you need
Matthew Platt04/08/2010 18:39:17
347 forum posts
9 photos
There are tools on the market that represent extremely good value for money.

I won't stock anything that I wouldn't use myself, it's just not worth the hassle of dealing with returns and upsetting customers. Here are some examples:

Narex chisels for example are beautifully made, correctly hardened and only about a fiver each.

Scary sharp is a very accesible route to extremely sharp hand tools and with a couple of sheets of 100 micron film ( £1.90 each) regrinding is taken care of too.

Gyokucho saws are used by some of the best cabinetmakers in the world and only cost around £35 each.

Quangsheng planes are extremely affordable and they are within a gnats of the more expensive top end planes in terms of performace.

Aldi recently had some European style planes for about a fiver, I'm not sure if they were good enough for smoothing but for converting to a scrub they would be perfectly adequate.

With just those few hand tools and some timber you could conceivably build a decent bench and quite a considerable number of priojects. Machines are great to pick up as you go on and a bandsaw is an excellent choice to start with but as others have said the big cast iron ones that you buy once and love forever are the ones to get and well worth saving up for. Good ones do save time and effort but it's worth bearing in mind that people have been doing incredible things with wood for thousands of years without them.

Cheers,

Matthew

Edited By Matthew Platt on 04/08/2010 18:40:08

Sam04/08/2010 22:40:05
386 forum posts
110 photos
When I first set out  , I had a few tools because of my job , I have since added to them , but as said , you need to know how to mark  a job out proper . This is my little wall of fame

At a rough guess , this lot cost me less than £70 , but worth every penny of it .I couldnt  be with out any of it . I do have duplicates of some tools , but they are in my "site" bag as cant be doing with looking for tools and realise that I left it some where . .I do have 3 Bevels as some jobs require many angles ( cutting a roof ) and It is easier than constantly changing a bevel .

Hope this helps 

Sam

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact