By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Woodworking show.....

Where are they held?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jo Davies19/07/2010 16:04:03
2 forum posts
Hi,

I am going to be honest and say i know nothing about woodwork. However my Dad is embarking on his woodworking now that he has a little more time and i'd like to treat him to tickets and an overnight stay somewhere so he can go to a show. I don't have a clue where they are held, when or even where to get some information. I'd like it to be a fairly large show, something that would be worth the travelling (we live in Gloucestershire).

Please can you recommend one to me?

Thank you

Doug19/07/2010 20:04:53
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Hi Jo.

One i would recommend is coming up in October, the European woodworking show.

Cheers.

Baz  

Edited By baz on 19/07/2010 20:07:54

Olly Parry-Jones20/07/2010 14:22:55
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Hi Jo and welcome to the forum.

One much closer to home would be the Festival of the Tree at Westonbirt Arboretum, Tetbury. There's always a lot going on, despite the lack of fine furniture or cabinet making. There are lots of woodturning demonstrations, chainsaw carving and, as in the last two years at least, there are usually a number of talks/demonstrations from furniture makers and such, spread throughout the day. This is coming up at the end of August and does cover the bank holiday weekend.

Of course, I haven't even mentioned the arboretum itself, which is definitely worth visiting if you haven't seen it before!

Another one not a million miles away is down at Yandles (a timber yard) down in Martock, near Yeovil. Less of the demonstrations but plenty of wood and representatives on hand from various firms, if he wanted to talk tools (maybe even blag a discount!). This one is free to enter. The Yandles show is held twice a year, in both spring and autumn.

One of the largest ones has to be the Get Woodworking Live show held annually at Alexandra Palace (Ally Pally) though, that's not until March next year.

Hope this helps.
Jo Davies20/07/2010 19:59:41
2 forum posts
Hi Baz,

Thanks for your reply. I have seen that one when i googled it a couple of days ago but i wasnt sure whether or not it was a good one. Now i do, i will definitely consider it so thank you!

Hi Olly, thanks for the reply. We have indeed been to the Westonbirt one a couple of times and it was lovely. I havent heard of Yandles but i have just been on their website and i see they do 2 day courses etc so i think that might be an option too so thank you. I have saved the get woodworking live show link for next year, i'm going to tell him that it exists.

Thanks for both of your help!
Olly Parry-Jones21/07/2010 08:23:37
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Hi again Jo,

If he's interested in courses then, you may also want to take a look at Axminster's site. They're a little further south, down in Devon, and they sell tools and machinery rather than timber.
Dave Atkinson22/07/2010 13:11:34
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi Jo

Axminster also have a turning weekend in October - have a look at their site.

and then there's Harrogate in November, here's the link - harrogate

Harrogate is always a great event and you can combine it with a trip to the Dales 

Cheers Dave 

Edited By Dave Atkinson on 22/07/2010 13:12:45

Olly Parry-Jones22/07/2010 14:12:25
2776 forum posts
636 photos
If he wants to look at some finely made, inspiring furniture then the Celebration of Craftsmanship is coming up soon in Cheltenham.

Or, if you fancy a trip down to Bristol now, the 'Inspired' exhibition is running until Sunday. :-D

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact