By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Ron'slegs

A lovely pair, if I do say so myself!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Ron Davis13/07/2010 21:25:06
1619 forum posts
201 photos
We had a committee meeting in my garden a couple of weeks ago, and it was interrupted by a phone call, it was a local joiner who wanted a pair of legs turned for a fitted kitchen.Needless to say I discussed this with the committee - after I finished the job.

He wanted the legs 120mm square and we discussed what wood to use,tulip was mentioned but not readily available, joinery qualty pine is not available above 100mm, so my customer camIe up with two 120mm square oak posts, from a timber yard and planed all round.

Without doubt these were the biggest pieces of wood I have put on my lathe, and whilst they were still square the produced a nice cooling breeze in the shed!

I made these to the customers rod, and when he colleced them he said a) they were to be painted and b) they were going to be fitted in a kitchen in the south of France, sadly he refused my offer to help fit them!

We ad a discussion about the fact that the existing splits would only get worse in the arid climate of the south of France. He felt that aluminimum paint would make a good primer.

We cut them to length when he collected them and he went away delighted with them.

I have one small bonus from this, a friend goes fly fishing for trout and wanted oak shavings to smoke some, he now has two carrier bags full and I await some smoked trout

Ron
Ralph Harvey13/07/2010 22:19:53
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Ron

They realy are a lovely pair, they look well turned maybe you will get more of the same to do in the future

Ralph
Alan T.14/07/2010 08:31:17
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Ron, As you say 'a lovely pair' . Shame to paint them though. Well done.  Alan T.
Mailee14/07/2010 15:54:55
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
Sorry, I thought this was a knobbly knees contest when I read the title. LOL. They really do look nice Ron. As has been stated it is such a pity to paint them.
George Arnold14/07/2010 20:50:31
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Ron

What nice legs you've got, well turned, I agree it's a pity to paint them , but the customer is always right.

George
Ron Davis14/07/2010 20:52:17
1619 forum posts
201 photos
We were both of the opinion that they would be better finished to show the wood but it did not suit the customers customer if you see what I mean

Ron
Dave Atkinson14/07/2010 22:12:15
672 forum posts
115 photos
Great pair Ron, I agree it's a shame to paint them

Cheers Dave 
Doug14/07/2010 22:29:34
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Lovely work Ron.

Unfortunately the customer is always right, even when they ain`t 

Baz  

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Triton
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact