Disc grinder demo

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Oddjob27/10/2008 15:35:00
1635 forum posts
79 photos

Has anyone got experience of this? 

Worksharp 

It seems good value when compared to some of the alternatives.  I would be particularly interested in anyone's experience of using it to sharpen turning or carving gouges.

Richard

Andy King27/10/2008 15:55:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
Hi Richard, I looked at the Worksharp3000 in the latest issue of Good Woodworking. Its a nice piece of kit, although using it for turning or carving gouges is down to your own steady hand as they are addressed freehand to the wheel working the tool from underneath the wheel. I found it was a pretty easy operation, you have a wheel that has slits in it that allow you to see through and watch the bevel as the abrasive works, so you can tweak the tool to get the bevel orientated correctly. You do need a little care as you roll it over - its best to roll from the right to left as it can snag on a slit if you try to do it left to right if that makes sense! You can still get a snag if you roll too far, but I found it was more a lack of concentration here. It's not as versatile as a Tormek, but you need a lot of jigs with a Tormek for the consistency it offers. The Worksharp is a fast system, basically a powered version of Scary Sharp, and great for flattening backs on tools if needed as well as sharpening. The abrasive range is also good, you can coarse grind or hone as needed, although the consumables are where you will be spending your money more than with traditional methods. The abrasives can be cleaned up with a rubber cleaning stick (supplied) if needed, but they will obviously lose their bite over a period of time unlike a wet wheel or other grinder/honing stones. hope this helps. Andy
Andy Spence 327/10/2008 15:57:00
67 forum posts
3 photos

looking at it i would worry about the grinder staying flat and true long trem. I bought a tomatc think that was that make from axminster for around  £100 in a sale, and would never go back to doing it all by hand on waterstones as before. Just finsh of on the waterstones now.

Andy King27/10/2008 16:16:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles

Hi Andy,

Not sure what you mean by staying flat and true long term, the abrasives are self adhesive and stuck to 10mm thick toughened glass discs so you can have differing grits on each side and another disc loaded similarly (the 3000 version has spare disc plus slit version for gouges etc)
The discs are available separately so if one does become damaged its eay to replace.

Andy

Oddjob27/10/2008 16:59:00
1635 forum posts
79 photos

Hi Andy, (King that is)

As a subscriber I have the latest GW but hadn't got to the end of it yet -I like to spread the pleasure a bit!  I've read it now and am much wiser - thanks.

Richard

Toothy29/10/2008 21:33:00
458 forum posts
67 photos

Hi Andy & Andy

I have seen this advertised in Wildfowl Carving @ 195 USD and have wondered about it. Would be interested in anyones experiences of it. What is the UK RRP?

Toothy

Oddjob27/10/2008 15:35:00
1635 forum posts
79 photos

Has anyone got experience of this? 

Worksharp 

It seems good value when compared to some of the alternatives.  I would be particularly interested in anyone's experience of using it to sharpen turning or carving gouges.

Richard

Andy King27/10/2008 15:55:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
Hi Richard, I looked at the Worksharp3000 in the latest issue of Good Woodworking. Its a nice piece of kit, although using it for turning or carving gouges is down to your own steady hand as they are addressed freehand to the wheel working the tool from underneath the wheel. I found it was a pretty easy operation, you have a wheel that has slits in it that allow you to see through and watch the bevel as the abrasive works, so you can tweak the tool to get the bevel orientated correctly. You do need a little care as you roll it over - its best to roll from the right to left as it can snag on a slit if you try to do it left to right if that makes sense! You can still get a snag if you roll too far, but I found it was more a lack of concentration here. It's not as versatile as a Tormek, but you need a lot of jigs with a Tormek for the consistency it offers. The Worksharp is a fast system, basically a powered version of Scary Sharp, and great for flattening backs on tools if needed as well as sharpening. The abrasive range is also good, you can coarse grind or hone as needed, although the consumables are where you will be spending your money more than with traditional methods. The abrasives can be cleaned up with a rubber cleaning stick (supplied) if needed, but they will obviously lose their bite over a period of time unlike a wet wheel or other grinder/honing stones. hope this helps. Andy
Andy Spence 327/10/2008 15:57:00
67 forum posts
3 photos

looking at it i would worry about the grinder staying flat and true long trem. I bought a tomatc think that was that make from axminster for around  £100 in a sale, and would never go back to doing it all by hand on waterstones as before. Just finsh of on the waterstones now.

Andy King27/10/2008 16:16:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles

Hi Andy,

Not sure what you mean by staying flat and true long term, the abrasives are self adhesive and stuck to 10mm thick toughened glass discs so you can have differing grits on each side and another disc loaded similarly (the 3000 version has spare disc plus slit version for gouges etc)
The discs are available separately so if one does become damaged its eay to replace.

Andy

Oddjob27/10/2008 16:59:00
1635 forum posts
79 photos

Hi Andy, (King that is)

As a subscriber I have the latest GW but hadn't got to the end of it yet -I like to spread the pleasure a bit!  I've read it now and am much wiser - thanks.

Richard

Toothy29/10/2008 21:33:00
458 forum posts
67 photos

Hi Andy & Andy

I have seen this advertised in Wildfowl Carving @ 195 USD and have wondered about it. Would be interested in anyones experiences of it. What is the UK RRP?

Toothy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Tool Post
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact