By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Gates almost finished

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Vaughn27/10/2008 06:23:00
92 forum posts
34 photos

Hi Malc

i really like your gate! this is great timing, i am starting one this december myself. please answer a question or two.

what did you use to attach it to the walls? have you supported the middle with anything like wheels to roll on when it opens? lastly, what did you seal it with?

cheers

vaughn

Malc27/10/2008 08:08:00
411 forum posts
63 photos

Vaughn,

As for fixing to the wall I used those (I think they are called) shield anchors. Had to drill the brickwork about 75 mm deep and about 12 mm dia. The stud should not protrude beyond the edge of the post so you have to drill the post and counter bore to take a nut and washer so that when tight it is flush or just below the front edge (if you see what I mean) I used three on the house side and through bolts on the wall.

There are no wheels or anything on the bottom but I do tend to put a wedge under the left hand gate to take some of the weight of the side that we rarely use. Just dont skimp on hinges get some meaty "strap and band". My gates have been there 18 months or so and have not dropped or moved.

As for finish I used Sadolin but would highly reccommend Sikkens if the budget will run to it.

Hope this all helps,

Regards,

Malc.

Vaughn27/10/2008 10:25:00
92 forum posts
34 photos

Hi Malc

thanks very much, i appreciate it. i hadn't thought of fixing pillars to a wall, was going to fix the gate to the wall directly. i think i like your idea better.

will post a photo when i am busy with it.

regards

vaughn

Vaughn27/10/2008 06:23:00
92 forum posts
34 photos

Hi Malc

i really like your gate! this is great timing, i am starting one this december myself. please answer a question or two.

what did you use to attach it to the walls? have you supported the middle with anything like wheels to roll on when it opens? lastly, what did you seal it with?

cheers

vaughn

Malc27/10/2008 08:08:00
411 forum posts
63 photos

Vaughn,

As for fixing to the wall I used those (I think they are called) shield anchors. Had to drill the brickwork about 75 mm deep and about 12 mm dia. The stud should not protrude beyond the edge of the post so you have to drill the post and counter bore to take a nut and washer so that when tight it is flush or just below the front edge (if you see what I mean) I used three on the house side and through bolts on the wall.

There are no wheels or anything on the bottom but I do tend to put a wedge under the left hand gate to take some of the weight of the side that we rarely use. Just dont skimp on hinges get some meaty "strap and band". My gates have been there 18 months or so and have not dropped or moved.

As for finish I used Sadolin but would highly reccommend Sikkens if the budget will run to it.

Hope this all helps,

Regards,

Malc.

Vaughn27/10/2008 10:25:00
92 forum posts
34 photos

Hi Malc

thanks very much, i appreciate it. i hadn't thought of fixing pillars to a wall, was going to fix the gate to the wall directly. i think i like your idea better.

will post a photo when i am busy with it.

regards

vaughn

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact