By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Hollow forms, my first attempt at a larger project

My first large hollow form

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Garfield12/07/2010 13:38:21
59 forum posts
112 photos
This is my first attempt at a large hollow form.  This was the piece that caused me to break the tool rest on my previous lathe making me buy my CL3 CAM lathe, upon which i finished the project.  I bought the yew ring along with 5 others for just £20 from ebay, the tree surgeon was hoping for more but thankfully the photos did not do the wood justice.

I turned the hollow form with my new BCT hollowmate that I bought from The toolpost on the lst open house event.  I still have some hand sanding to do on the piece and several coats of danish oil, the outside of the vessel has had just one coat at the moment.

The vessel is 7" high with a diameter of 8" and it weighs 3lb 12oz.  The base is very thick giving it some weight, the sides are approx 12/16ths thick but i actually like the chunkiness of the piece.

Edited By Garfield on 12/07/2010 13:44:38

Dave Atkinson14/07/2010 22:07:31
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi Garfield

Well done, It looks like it would be a challenge and it's come out well.

I've just started getting into hollow forms myself and it's not easy, but very satisfying when it works out.  I made  several napkin rings to start with!

cheers Dave 
Derek Lane15/07/2010 21:58:27
3218 forum posts
1004 photos
A well turned piece Garfield. Not a lover of chunks missing out of bowls etc but still appreciate the work involved and skill not to keep catching the edges with tools or fingers.

Hope to see some more (you never know i could be converted)
Mark Sutton20/07/2010 18:56:17
193 forum posts
59 photos
Hi Garfield

Nice piece of wood, beautiful colours  well done, sounds like a good bargain as well.

When i do large hollow forms, i tend to do it in 2 parts, and hide the join with decoration.

Well done again

Mark

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact