By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Hollowing

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Kinch11/07/2010 21:12:19
206 forum posts
91 photos
Hi, all Has anyone used this hollowing tool from Henry Taylor (HS187)

John Kinch11/07/2010 21:16:12
206 forum posts
91 photos
I was thinking of buying this tool from Axminster. I have not yet tried hollowing but would like to start. Any help or advice would be useful. Thanks.  john kinch
Garfield11/07/2010 21:22:08
59 forum posts
112 photos

John,

I have this tool but I only use it to scrape the inside of the hollow form.  I prefer something that i can articulate to get a better cutting edge.  I am only starting to do hollow forms myself so i am sure there are many out there who can help you.  Good luck with your hollowing.

Garfield
dennis wake11/07/2010 23:09:38
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi John
     if you are after a hollowing tool have a look at the one Baz has made >here it may help you but in the meantime i use the ashle illes hollow cup tool and find it a verry good tool to use.
  dennis
Sparky12/07/2010 11:41:52
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi John

I too have this tool and find it quite good for removing wood in a bowl or dish but, it can only do so much due to its straight bar. The straight bar does stop you getting right under a lip and you need to maneuver the tool a lot and have quite a largish opening to get under a lip. Baz's tool would be very useful for that action.

My turnings done with this tool is found in this album ► ► Here ◄◄

The tool is also a great scraper as Garfield mentions, You can get super fine shavings from a good sharp cutter and by moving the blade around, you can get into corners very well.

Hope this helps.

Marc 
John Kinch12/07/2010 18:20:07
206 forum posts
91 photos
Hi, all thanks for your advice, I think I will buy this tool as a starter it sounds to be ok. Once I get into deeper hollowing or more complex sections a different type of tool will have to be purchased.
  john.
George Arnold12/07/2010 20:05:01
1834 forum posts
191 photos
John

Ihave the Sorbey RS200 kt  it has an assortment of tips  it is more versatile for hollowing, it is of course more expensive, I have also made longer shafts to carry the cutters

I see in axminsters catalogue the Crown Cryo hollowing tool which is similar  and cheaper with an assortment of tips George

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact