Dennis's first Craft Fair

Success or not?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Oddjob11/07/2010 09:34:54
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Hi Dennis

I haven''t spotted your report about this momentous occasion.  Was it a success?  Did you enjoy it?  Did you sell your wares?

Richard 
dennis wake11/07/2010 13:06:45
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Richard
      i enjoyed the day it was good to demonstrate to the public. not much was sold by any of us. i sold one itom at £20

it was the bur oak bowl at the back. i have had it turned for a will and finished the sanding and finish a few days before. it seems that every one is impresed with what we do but soon as you say the price they just go.
dennis
Big Al11/07/2010 18:12:33
1593 forum posts
73 photos
When I was self employed I tried craft fairs and found that most people fall into the PPP category, Pick it up, Put it down (usually when they find out the price), and then P1ss off quick (sorry if the last p offends anyone).

Al 
dennis wake11/07/2010 18:41:39
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Al
  you are not wrong. the main statement that was coming out was when i mentioned how long the segmented vases take was you can see y the price is as it is. it was only £30 and i think that that price was well under what it should be.
dennis

Edited By dennis wake on 11/07/2010 18:42:48

Oddjob11/07/2010 20:31:28
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Dennis

Exhibiting at craft fairs is not my scene but I do like to wander around them to see the action.

I get the impression that visitors are out to be entertained - not intending to do any shopping if you see what I mean and exhibitors are there to show what they can do.  Visitors will buy low cost items but only if they are convinced that they are have got a bargain.  I don't think that they see £30 as low cost - regardless of the "value."

I am sure that the only way to get decent prices for your products is to get them into the high end craft galleries and furniture stores.  I haven't a clue how you get in there though.

I think that the best you can do at fairs is to recover your material costs.  Getting your labour cost back is impossible in those places.

So long as you enjoy the occasion and don't go home feeling disappointed then that is the best you can hope for I think.

Richard 
tony bevis11/07/2010 20:50:27
83 forum posts
32 photos
HI Dennis Im glad you enjoyed demonstrating it helps make the day go by and you meet a lot of people but it would be nice to sell a bit more. Its a bad time for crafters/artist at the moment,no money for these extra goodies. I think wood is out in the craft seen at the moment ,everybody likes  it until they see the price..
Jewelry and small textile bits are the best sellers  .I used to do well but sell practicly nothing at the moment but the wife does well .Was this a club event with lots of.. wood turners......................Tony
Victor Hamshoo11/07/2010 21:36:42
21 forum posts
It makes me wonder, now that we are in a recession, will all the oldie worldie crafts come to the fore, you know-the 'make do and mend' type of ethos that came to the surface post WW2, I personaly think most of our society are gonna turn back to 'things that last' rather than the throw-away-tat that we have been, well, throwing away into land fills etc
just my opinion
oh, and keep ploddding Dennis, your stuff looks amazing

Jim
Oddjob11/07/2010 22:23:15
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Jim

I was born at the end of WW2 and brought up with the make do and mend attitude.  There was no option - new goods were not available.

Nowadays cheap, cheerful and fashionable goods are readily available.  The recession is not comparable with the post war years - there are no shortages.  Nor is there any shortage of money.  A society where everyone has a car, television, microwave, holidays abroad etc. etc. is not impoverished like families were in the late 40's and through the 50's.

Talent such as Dennis has is, sadly, no longer rewarded.  Durable is not "in."  Short term fashionable but cheap is very definitely "in" and I think will become even more so.

Richard  
Sam11/07/2010 22:25:23
386 forum posts
110 photos
Very nice Dennis . As every one says , it is not easy  , but worth it , even to just get the feedback is a good thing though . I did wonder if it is worth it but there are always ups and downs . but well done and good luck at the next .

|Cheers Sam 
dennis wake11/07/2010 22:52:21
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Every one
    i am not so disapointed as bemused the last fare ( saterday gone) we only sold £16 and that was a friend selling turned mice. they came with a little card saying that they were wurry mice. nothing else went .i am actuarly inundated with orders for 4 segmented vases and 3 segmented bowls as well as 2 trinket boxes for friends at work so i have a lot to be getting on with and the craft fare sailes are a bonus. i have started a vase and a bowl. the other itomes are needing material for the signiture ring so will start them later.
dennis
Dave Atkinson12/07/2010 13:06:38
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi all

I do the odd fair and my success varies, usually, we do these as a club event.  Sales are best when we actually "sell".  It's not to everyone's taste but I have found that I do best when I engage with the punter - telling them about the wood, offering a discount if they buy two etc, all helps.  

I also find that people quite often buy what you make.  I ususally turn fruit as I can finish turn an apple in about 10 minutes and sell it for between £2 and £3 depending on it's size etc.   

The last event we went to we sold £300 between four of us.

And yes, people always want it for nothing! 

Cheers Dave
Ron Davis12/07/2010 17:34:29
1608 forum posts
201 photos
Dennis, combine turning with demonstrating, I piched this idea from a local woodfair.
Have a box of branch wood or blanks marked with a price and turn a mushroom in front of the customer, the kids love it and pester power should give you a great return

Ron
Ralph Harvey12/07/2010 23:44:58
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Some great stuff Dennis

As to the selling of our work, the best place is to get involved with a gallery they not only know how to sell but also how to get the right price, they will take a cut, but its worth it if it gets a better price to start with.

I agree with Ron demonstrating brings in a crowd and you will  be supprised how often someone will buy the piece they have just seen turned, Fruit, Mushrooms, lightpulls anything quick and simple.

Stick at it, its great fun, and if you get confident enough you could even look into demonstrating at clubs and shows,  thats where i found the best profits back when i was turning 

Ralph
dennis wake13/07/2010 05:11:56
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi ALL
   thank you for the advice. i do demonstrate when at the craft fares and thuraly enjoy doing so. at the last 2 i turned tee lights and wine bottle stoppers.
  dennis
Derek Lane15/07/2010 21:54:13
3206 forum posts
990 photos
Great set up Dennis glad you enjoyed yourself. Would have been nice to sell some more

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Tool Post
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact