By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Powerfix chisels

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Victor Hamshoo10/07/2010 19:28:05
21 forum posts
I bought a set of 'power-fix' chisels from my fave  (that will come in handy shop ) Lidl, they are made of, or at least stamped 'chrome vanadium' they dont seem to hold a good edge-are they crap?, is chr/vad a good material for cutting tools?, can anyone suggest a decent chisel maker (not too pricey)

Jim
Oddjob11/07/2010 09:17:57
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Victor

Such chisels are, I find, ideal for opening paint cans and little more.

All tools bought from what are essentially grocery stores, and especially the cheap ones, are likely to be "crap."  Will they make clean cuts in hardwood?  I doubt it.  They are things that have been bought cheap to sell cheap.  They are not loss leaders.  The stores make the same margin on them as they do on most of their products - around 30%, so you can see how cheaply they leave the place of manufacture.  For example, something selling for £5 in Lidl will have been bought for around £2.50 (excluding VAT).

The old adage "you get what you pay for - if you're lucky!" is as true now asit ever was.  If your way with tools is to  use them, abuse them and replace them then perhaps Lidl et al is ok.  If you want your tools to last then buy branded ones from a reputable tool supplier.

These are just my opinions of course but they are based on bitter experience.

Richard

Victor Hamshoo11/07/2010 11:31:46
21 forum posts
I hear ya Richard-lesson learned , gonna have a browse thru Axminsters website for some, think I'll pick them up as I go along rather than buy a set, thanks for your reply

Jim
Ron Davis11/07/2010 17:29:58
1608 forum posts
201 photos
Chome Vanadium is mainly used for making spanners, and what an improvement on the old black ones. Not much use for hoding an edge though

Ron
Doug11/07/2010 18:12:24
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Jim.

Ashley Iles make some very nice chisels that aren`t overly expensive, but are very good quality.

Cheers.

Baz  
Victor Hamshoo11/07/2010 21:23:10
21 forum posts
A wee update, I re-honed the edge with a micro-bevel to 30 degrees, this has improved the cut slightly, so all is not lost-they do open paint tins nicely too , thanks for the info guys, I'll have a look for Ashley Iles ones Baz, thank you

Jim
Ron Davis12/07/2010 17:39:51
1608 forum posts
201 photos
Just a point here, opening tins with a decent chisel will chip it, I did one when I was sixteen and though I had learnt a lesson, then a couple of weeks ago......

Ron
Mick Power18/07/2010 11:40:07
3 forum posts
I know this is an old subject but only recently joined you lot on this site, one observation on buying cheap tools at lidl aldi etc, a few years back I bought a  1/2 sheet sander from lidil,it is still going strong and with my standard of work gets a lot of use Ha Ha. Also a glue gun which is also working well, very basic tools but thay do the job,I dont think I would buy anything like a battery tool That might give trouble getting spare batterys etc, or hand tools that need to give a
quality finish.
Matthew Platt18/07/2010 22:51:55
347 forum posts
9 photos
There are inexpensive chisels on the market that will hold an edge beautifully (I wouldn't stock them if they didn't).

Ashley Iles may not be the cheapest but they are massively underpriced for proper handmade cabinetmaking chisels.

C.I Fall bevelled firmers are made from excellent steel and a bit more chunky - better for coarser work.

Narex are somewhere between the two - good machine grinding, isothermally hardened so there's no 'if's, but's or maybe's' about the hardening and extremely good value for money.

If you want to try any of our chisels out Jim, just drop me a pm and I'll send you a sample.

Cheers,

Matthew
Oddjob19/07/2010 08:59:43
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Undoubtedley excellent stuff Mathew.  I can vouch for Ashley Iles quality and am happy to take your word for it regarding the other two.  The Narex seem to be exceptionally good value.  However, you are a way off competing with Lidl prices - and long may you continue to be!  We know that you will only sell "value for money" products.

Richard 
Sparky19/07/2010 16:50:28
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Even though I would love to own those chisels, I have that free set of Marples that came with the magazine subscription some time back, great chisels and hold a edge...............if your not going to be using them all the time, try out the cheaper brands like Stanley, Record Marples and Sandvik. All can be found in DIY stores like B&Q, Homebase, Wicks etc.

Stanley 5 Piece Dynagrip Chisel Set 5

B&Q on offer for £25 was £35

Marc
Oddjob19/07/2010 18:06:14
1635 forum posts
79 photos
If I was choosing between the Stanley set of 5 for £25 or the Narex set of 6 for £45 I would certainly splash out on the Narex ones.

Richard

Victor Hamshoo29/07/2010 18:38:23
21 forum posts
Many thanks for all the replies guys and especialy to Mathew for the links and photos of those wonderfull chisels (Think Narex has won the toss), wellI must say I cant help myself when it comes to a bargain-decided to throw caution to the wind again and bought some spiral auger bits from Lidl-no money wasted this time thankfully-they're really good and cut well-I would recommend them actually

Jim
Sparky29/07/2010 19:12:28
7631 forum posts
22 photos
It is possible to get good tools from Lidls Jim, some are German made.....

Good luck with the chisels too.

Marc
Victor Hamshoo14/12/2010 19:19:54
21 forum posts
Posted by Oddjob on 19/07/2010 18:06:14:
If I was choosing between the Stanley set of 5 for £25 or the Narex set of 6 for £45 I would certainly splash out on the Narex ones.

Richard

You've convinced me Richard, not been on here for a while due to ill health, lot of catching up to do, yep Mathew Platt Sir a set of Narex for £45 is what my daughter is going to treat me to for Christmas some quality pieces for a change (well for me anyway) lol , how do I order them ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact