By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

cupped timber

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Roy B08/07/2010 09:44:45
11 forum posts

     I have just been tasked with repairing a small oak tilt top table. The repairs consist os re-gluing the 4 pieces of oak that make up the top. The top is approx. 4ft. round and the parts have parted cleanly at the joints. It appears that it has been apart for quite a while as the two inner pieces have cupped and I feel if i re-join them as they are I will have a very wavy top. The oak is approx. 3/4 in. thick and when complete will have two braces underneath to keep the top stable. these are held in place by screws. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how top can be straightened out prior to glueing or whether it is possible to glue the top up and then straighten it.
Andy Bell08/07/2010 12:52:35
156 forum posts
43 photos
I'd start by acclimatising the parts to the condtions (moisture content) where the table will be going. 
If it's been broken a while, the bits may have been stored in a shed or garage (more damp than centrally heated house). Resulting in the cupping.
AnselmFraser04/11/2010 17:21:20
12 forum posts
When the oak boards have dried out and they are still not straight you will have to cerf them from underneath so as to bend them straight (use a circlar saw or a router) the braces then will keep them straight.
Good luck .

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Felder UK April 2016
Craft Supplies
Transwave 2017
Marriott & Co
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact