fluting

column fluting

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
sad sam30/06/2010 09:17:11
609 forum posts
251 photos
morning all
im currently making a bandstand clock as an anniversary present for a friend and would like to flute the columns there was an article discribing how to do it in a back issue of the woodworker magazine does anybody know which one or has anyone got a discription of how to do it as i have not attempted this before
cheers sadsam
Mailee30/06/2010 12:00:33
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
Build a box with two ends long enough to accomodate the spindle. Rout a slot in the top to take a router guide bush long enough for the flutes. Screw the spindle in from each end with another screw to stabilise it. Mark the position of the flutes on the spindle and turn to each position as each is routed. Hope this sounds clear enough. Works well, I have done this on a few occasions.
Alan T.01/07/2010 20:28:45
1033 forum posts
98 photos

Hello Sam, This is how I make fluted columns for clocks.The horizontal table on which the cradle mounted router moves is fixed to the lathe bed.As you can see the router bit is in line with the workpiece centre The limits of router movement are controlled by stops clamped or scewed to the table.The built in indexer determines the number of flutes. The Ash clock in my album was made using, this though I have recently renewed the table.(surplus worktop) Hope this may be of some assistance.  Cheers   Alan T.  
sad sam03/07/2010 10:27:24
609 forum posts
251 photos
good morning mailee and alan
thank you very much for your help i am sure i will manage to make a jig now
in the august issue of the woodworker which i have just got there is also a solution featured in there so i am now spoiled for choice
cheers sadsam
Ralph Harvey04/07/2010 00:20:18
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Sam

I made a clock a while back and used the same method as Dave Roberts, glue a series of small dowels (or in my case kebab skewers) around a larger dowel worked a treat.

Ralph

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact