By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

scratch cards

is it a con

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ged Meager27/06/2010 09:00:01
222 forum posts
For the second time I have recieved a scratch card in my GoodWoodworking Magazine and for the second time I have what is reportedly a winning line not only that but on this card I have now, I have two winning lines but the phone number displayed is not recognised or its constantly engaged |I have tried phoning all times day, night early hours etc etc with no joy I am getting fairly convinced this is all a big CON I've emailed  My HobbyStore with no luck so I'm wondewring if this should be reported to trading standards. Unless you guys have any solutions
Oddjob27/06/2010 10:01:50
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Ged

If it is "The £1 Million Cash Card" then no, it isn't a complete con but your chances of winning a significant prize are really minimal.  Every card inserted into every magazine has a "winning line."  The call to the number on the cards will cost you dearly - £9.  Try 01524 444000 instead - it works but only sometimes.  Phone between 9:00 and 17:00.  All of the prizes are genuine but some come with a catch - the holidays for example are usually in very low season and at obscure times - like fly at 3:00 am Christmas or New Years Day!  You will also have your arm twisted to buy timeshare.  There are a limited number of each available, there is only one draw per annum for the bigger prizes (many millions of "winners" eligible for the draw) etc. etc.

No. it isn't a con but you stand a better chance of winning something worthwhile if you invest your money in the National Lottery.

The purpose of the so-called competition with what seem to be generous prizes is to obtain names and addresses, including email, of people deemed susceptible to unsolicited offers via post, email and phone.  Your details will be made available to thousands of businesses wanting to contact such people.

Richard
Sparky27/06/2010 14:45:31
7631 forum posts
22 photos
If I remember correctly, its £1.50 per minute and the call is 4 minutes long.........but, I also think your being charged if the call is in engaged..........

Is it really worth it?...........not for me.
Ged Meager27/06/2010 22:38:59
222 forum posts
Thanks guys I'll bin the card and won't bother with any others that come through

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
D B Keighley
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact