By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Gap filling glue

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Victor Hamshoo24/06/2010 20:15:48
21 forum posts
I have had a go at making a couple of planters for a friends garden, the joints are simple hand sawn finger joints (very rustic and also very loose), can anyone suggest a gap filling glue that will tighten these joints up?, they are out on my friends patio at the mo, but during winter thay will be in a conservatory, so they will get wet now and again-but wont be out all weathers !
thanks in advance for any advice
Jim
Doug24/06/2010 20:51:22
3415 forum posts
35 photos
You could try polyurethane glue Jim, as it foams up a little as it cures & will fill gaps, though how strong it will be i don`t know.

The other advantage of Polyurethane glue is that it is water proof.

Cheers.

Baz  
Victor Hamshoo24/06/2010 23:05:27
21 forum posts
cheers Baz and thanks for a reply, Polyurethane, I'll have a look out for that, would Wickes or Homebase sell this, or is it a professional glue product?
Big Al25/06/2010 05:23:36
1593 forum posts
73 photos
Polymite powdered resin glue would be better than a polyurethane glue, especially if your joints are very loose.

You would need to go to a workshop supply company to obtain polymite, or an independent tool shop. Axminster sell it, the chain shops such as homebase, b&q and wickes dont sell polymite.

I have inserted a link to polymite on axminsters web site so that you can have a look at it, click here 

Al 
Victor Hamshoo25/06/2010 16:22:25
21 forum posts
Thanks for the info guys and cheers Big Al, that resin is exactly what I'm looking for-and it mixes with water so no messing with little tubes of hardener-brilliant, thanks for the link to 'Aladins cave' too
Ron Davis27/06/2010 17:52:37
1608 forum posts
201 photos
Dont for get with resin glues that the water / glue mix needs to be exactly as it says on the tin, measure carefully

Ron
Garfield27/11/2010 06:51:00
59 forum posts
112 photos
I like gorilla glue, you have to lightly dampen the surfaces to activate the glue but it foams up and is waterproof . I have used it on many bird boxes and all are still together

David Keast27/11/2010 14:44:55
13 forum posts
Polyurethane foams up and fills the gap OK, but the joint is not strong, the foam that effectively joins the loose parts is quite weak.  Also, poly glue is degraded quite quickly by UV light.  In a tight joint the light does not get to it, but in a loose joint, especially outdoors, the light will quickly (12-24 months) break down the glue.

Polyurethane looks like a simple solution, but it's not good!  Resin is much better.
Brian Barber27/11/2010 15:17:51
160 forum posts
244 photos
Just a note of caution. polymite glue (formerly cascamite) is absolutely brilliant for furniture making - I use it all of the time. However it is not very good for outside work that gets wet. The glue sets glass hard, has little or no flexibility and from experience with garden furniture the wood moves but the glue doesn`t and the joint soon fails - sorry.

Brian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Transwave 2017
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Tormek
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact