iroko bowl.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ralph Harvey18/10/2008 20:44:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Vaughn

Thats nice i like the studs around the edge, Its an unusual grain for Iroko, what size is it.?

Ralph

Vaughn18/10/2008 21:24:00
92 forum posts
34 photos

Hi Ralph

Thanks, i thought i'd try something a bit different, since the bowl is quite shallow. for some reason the studs are very popular right now, the furniture makers use them on just about everything. i make the odd bowl for a shop in my area, and the owner asked me to try something in this line. i am making another about half this size, to sell it as a set.

I must confess, to the best of my knowledge i think it is iroko! it is about 10.5 inches across.

regards

vaughn

Ralph Harvey18/10/2008 21:34:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Vaughn

It may well be Iroko but i must admit it looks very similar to walnut, good luck with the rest of the set, Will you alter the size of the studs to maintain proportion ?

Ralph

Vaughn18/10/2008 21:52:00
92 forum posts
34 photos

Hi Ralph

I fortunately bought two sizes of studs for another project, and will be using the smaller ones on the small bowl. i'm aiming to keep the proportions of the rim and stud width the same.

This wood actually comes from a factory in my town, a massive steelworks. it is from crates used to transport very heavy (2 ton) hydraulic presses. the sections are all incredibly greasy and stained. in some places the wood looks spalted, but i think it is actually oil. 

the wood planes very nicely, but it is hell to sand. any type of sandpaper i have used erodes very quickly. it also has a fairly open grain, and a very irregular pattern on most of the planks.

i used most of it to build my bedside cabinets. reckon i'll post some photo's of that to aid Mike in his quest to promote cabinet making. hope the comments are kind, i intentionally made them very bulky and rough, sort of a "farmhouse" feel.

regards

vaughn 

Ralph Harvey18/10/2008 22:21:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Vaughn 

Look forward to seeing them

Ralph

Ralph Harvey18/10/2008 20:44:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Vaughn

Thats nice i like the studs around the edge, Its an unusual grain for Iroko, what size is it.?

Ralph

Vaughn18/10/2008 21:24:00
92 forum posts
34 photos

Hi Ralph

Thanks, i thought i'd try something a bit different, since the bowl is quite shallow. for some reason the studs are very popular right now, the furniture makers use them on just about everything. i make the odd bowl for a shop in my area, and the owner asked me to try something in this line. i am making another about half this size, to sell it as a set.

I must confess, to the best of my knowledge i think it is iroko! it is about 10.5 inches across.

regards

vaughn

Ralph Harvey18/10/2008 21:34:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Vaughn

It may well be Iroko but i must admit it looks very similar to walnut, good luck with the rest of the set, Will you alter the size of the studs to maintain proportion ?

Ralph

Vaughn18/10/2008 21:52:00
92 forum posts
34 photos

Hi Ralph

I fortunately bought two sizes of studs for another project, and will be using the smaller ones on the small bowl. i'm aiming to keep the proportions of the rim and stud width the same.

This wood actually comes from a factory in my town, a massive steelworks. it is from crates used to transport very heavy (2 ton) hydraulic presses. the sections are all incredibly greasy and stained. in some places the wood looks spalted, but i think it is actually oil. 

the wood planes very nicely, but it is hell to sand. any type of sandpaper i have used erodes very quickly. it also has a fairly open grain, and a very irregular pattern on most of the planks.

i used most of it to build my bedside cabinets. reckon i'll post some photo's of that to aid Mike in his quest to promote cabinet making. hope the comments are kind, i intentionally made them very bulky and rough, sort of a "farmhouse" feel.

regards

vaughn 

Ralph Harvey18/10/2008 22:21:00
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles

Vaughn 

Look forward to seeing them

Ralph

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact