By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Newbie needs help

Lathe speed settings

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robert Marr14/06/2010 13:27:47
2 forum posts
Hi new to turning so bear with me.
Just purchased a Myford ML8 on fleabay. Lovely machine and a bargain.
Please can anyone tell me how to set the pulley speeds. as there ar 4 pulleys an the headstock and 4 on the motor how do I set the 4 speed the machine has and how do I know which is which. so far have figured out small pulley on motor with larger on headstock slows the speed from the original motor speed. Sorry if the answer is obvious and any help greatly appreciated. Also anyone know where to get a handbook or does anyone have one I could buy or they could copy.
Thanks
BOB
Sparky14/06/2010 13:47:44
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Robert and welcome to this forum.

I'm sorry I cant help with the set up of your machine but, I'm sure there are plenty of other members on here who would know, so hang in there.

One thing I can help with is a parts list just in case you ever need one...>> Myford parts list <<. This is from their website and in PDF form.....Their website is >> here << and if you need something I'm sure they would offer their help to you.

Good luck and enjoy turning, it is a great hobby.

Marc
Robert Marr14/06/2010 14:26:51
2 forum posts
Thanks for that Sparky anyone else help
dennis wake14/06/2010 21:59:01
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Robert
    and welcom to the site.i have looked at the miford ml8 lathe on this >here and by the look of it you have a moter that is under slung  and a top opener on the lath so to chang the speed you will have to undo the top cover to gain access to the belt  and there will be a tensioner were the moter is. so have a look under the lathe were the moter is and slacken the moter it should move up wards and slacken the belt . then you will be able to chang the speed to what you want . just a word of warning only turn at a speed that you are comfortable with. the speeds are from as u say small on the moter to large on the head stock  for the slowest of 700, then 1140 then 1780 and the fastest speed is 2850 rpm. all this info is on the site i have given you above. i hope this is of use to you
dennis
Dave Atkinson15/06/2010 21:22:57
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi Bob

Try this link as well http://www.lathes.co.uk/myfordwood/ 

Cheers Dave 
dennis wake15/06/2010 22:57:59
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Dave
     great minds think a like as the link i set is the same as the on you have.
 dennis
Dave Atkinson16/06/2010 08:47:53
672 forum posts
115 photos
Oops!!  I should have clicked your link - still as you say "great minds etc"

Cheers Dave 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact