By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

In this month's Good Woodworking

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sparky26/10/2008 15:43:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Would be nice to allow people to see your profile instead of keeping it private, then Jim wont have that problem!

Marc  

Jim Beach26/10/2008 19:25:00
37 forum posts

Hi Toothy & Sparky

thanks for your replys, it would be nice to know where people are located, they may be on your doorstep.

Jim

Olly Parry-Jones26/10/2008 21:32:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos
That's an intriguing idea - a site map of forum members! (Ben, are you reading this?)
Mike Riley26/10/2008 21:37:00
337 forum posts
5 photos
5 articles
There's one o UKW though sadly neglected but it shows the way so to speak. Google maps API ftw. Cheers Mike
Toothy27/10/2008 13:52:00
458 forum posts
67 photos

Sparky

Click on the name (Toothy above) and you will see the persons profile  and don't forget to smile for me  

Ben

You may need a world map

Toothy

Woodworker27/10/2008 22:57:00
1745 forum posts
1 photos
74 articles
I think it's a great idea. Not sure how much work it would involve to integrate into GW but I'll look into it.
Jim Beach28/10/2008 10:21:00
37 forum posts

Hi Ben

Since my earlier comment I have revisited the site and noticed that the location of some of the contributers is available in their profile.

This was all I was looking for at the time but OPJ's idea looks good

Jim

Sparky28/10/2008 21:38:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

Toothy

There must be a bug as when I click on the name I get the following blank screen with this message across it.

"This member has chosen to keep their details private."

Sometimes it works with FireFox and not IE7 and then visa versa...

Marc

Sparky13/10/2008 21:04:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

This has been an interesting read, certainly like the dovetail section &  the profile of Robin Nance.

well done guys!

Marc  

Oddjob14/10/2008 09:18:00
1635 forum posts
79 photos

I got my copy yesterday too.  An improvement on recent issues but, as indicated by Jon Bentman's editorial, still some way to go to get away from the Sunday supplement content.

Richard

Olly Parry-Jones14/10/2008 09:50:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

I think that makes three in a row now for excellent issues! Nice to see Andy doing some real work for a change.... Great article though, I hadn't even heard of a double-rebate dovetail joint before.

Is Philly gonna start writing for the magazine again?

Looking forward to seeing the other changes you have in mind. I guess you've been in the seat long enough now, Jon, to have a better idea of what the readers want to see than when you first arrived. What's happened to Dave Roberts? (Not TRDR)

Mike Riley14/10/2008 10:07:00
337 forum posts
5 photos
5 articles
I'm not sure what all this talk of Sunday Supplement content refers to -does it mean stuff like the Robin Nance article, the recent stuff on the boa tbuilders ? Personally I think that sort of thing is far more interesting than the projects and the tool reviews, though obviously they have a place. It places this wood related thing we do into a cultural and historical picture which is why I read magazines and books. I find out how to do things by doing them, or by seeing that someone else has done something and trying to appropriate an idea, not really by copying a fold A - B schematic or set of instructions. Not sure that really conveys what I mean but there you go. Cheers Mike
Olly Parry-Jones14/10/2008 10:25:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

That's why I still subscribe to Good Wood, Mike, because they are doing something 'different'. I'm with you - if I want step-by-step project walkthroughs then I'll buy a couple of books or spend some time on the internet.

Not that I'm implying you should drop the regular articles from Mike Jordan, Martin Aplin and others!

Andy King14/10/2008 10:27:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
OPJ wrote (see)

I hadn't even heard of a double-rebate dovetail joint before.

Ah, well Olly, that's because it's called a double rabbeted dovetail as I said in the feature! Traditional UK boatbuilding terminology over americanism here I believe!

cheers,

Andy

Mike Garnham14/10/2008 13:25:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

I haven't heard of either version of this joint!

Nor have I read this months Good Wood.....but I did read and enjoy the last one, and particularly liked the boatyard story and photos. I completely agree with every word Mike Riley says on the matter..........I generally do!!!.........perhaps if you could write my posts for me Mike I would have some more time to some work!

Mike

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
D B Keighley
Tool Post
D&M Tools
Tormek
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact