By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

In this month's Good Woodworking

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sparky13/10/2008 21:04:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

This has been an interesting read, certainly like the dovetail section &  the profile of Robin Nance.

well done guys!

Marc  

Oddjob14/10/2008 09:18:00
1635 forum posts
79 photos

I got my copy yesterday too.  An improvement on recent issues but, as indicated by Jon Bentman's editorial, still some way to go to get away from the Sunday supplement content.

Richard

Olly Parry-Jones14/10/2008 09:50:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

I think that makes three in a row now for excellent issues! Nice to see Andy doing some real work for a change.... Great article though, I hadn't even heard of a double-rebate dovetail joint before.

Is Philly gonna start writing for the magazine again?

Looking forward to seeing the other changes you have in mind. I guess you've been in the seat long enough now, Jon, to have a better idea of what the readers want to see than when you first arrived. What's happened to Dave Roberts? (Not TRDR)

Mike Riley14/10/2008 10:07:00
337 forum posts
5 photos
5 articles
I'm not sure what all this talk of Sunday Supplement content refers to -does it mean stuff like the Robin Nance article, the recent stuff on the boa tbuilders ? Personally I think that sort of thing is far more interesting than the projects and the tool reviews, though obviously they have a place. It places this wood related thing we do into a cultural and historical picture which is why I read magazines and books. I find out how to do things by doing them, or by seeing that someone else has done something and trying to appropriate an idea, not really by copying a fold A - B schematic or set of instructions. Not sure that really conveys what I mean but there you go. Cheers Mike
Olly Parry-Jones14/10/2008 10:25:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

That's why I still subscribe to Good Wood, Mike, because they are doing something 'different'. I'm with you - if I want step-by-step project walkthroughs then I'll buy a couple of books or spend some time on the internet.

Not that I'm implying you should drop the regular articles from Mike Jordan, Martin Aplin and others!

Andy King14/10/2008 10:27:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
OPJ wrote (see)

I hadn't even heard of a double-rebate dovetail joint before.

Ah, well Olly, that's because it's called a double rabbeted dovetail as I said in the feature! Traditional UK boatbuilding terminology over americanism here I believe!

cheers,

Andy

Mike Garnham14/10/2008 13:25:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

I haven't heard of either version of this joint!

Nor have I read this months Good Wood.....but I did read and enjoy the last one, and particularly liked the boatyard story and photos. I completely agree with every word Mike Riley says on the matter..........I generally do!!!.........perhaps if you could write my posts for me Mike I would have some more time to some work!

Mike

Mike Riley14/10/2008 13:31:00
337 forum posts
5 photos
5 articles
Mike if you do my work as well, then I'll surf t'internet and make posts for both of us. ): Cheers Mike (Speaking of work, I only came in here for a cup of tea - must get back to it).
Andy King14/10/2008 14:01:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles

Hi Mike (G)

This is the joint Olly was on about.
The top pic shows how it should look when you cut through a tail when removing for a lid etc.

(slightly off topic, did you ever play against Richard 'Reggie' Williams who was understudy to Jack Russell? He used to play for our local team when he could - took a few catches and stumped a few off my bowling, which i'm pretty chuffed with! - Great bloke as well!)

cheers,

Andy

http://www.getwoodworking.com/sites/5/images/member_albums/4436/double3.JPG

http://www.getwoodworking.com/sites/5/images/member_albums/4436/double1.JPG

http://www.getwoodworking.com/sites/5/images/member_albums/4436/double2.JPG

Sparky15/10/2008 02:27:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos

I really like this joint but, I bet its got Mike stumped! 

Marc  

Mike Garnham15/10/2008 08:07:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

Andy,

I can't remember whether I actually played against Reggie or not (I assume I did), but I certainly knew of him. He was one of those slightly unlucky keepers who happened to be around when all the Counties had established incumbents......therefore a life of second team cricket and the odd game whilst Jack was away was his lot.

Hidden talents Andy!! ......Bowling ................& turning!!!!

That is a nice looking joint. I can't quite see when it would be used in place of the more orthodox dovetail though (*), but I've now got it stored away in case the need ever arises. One of the problems of being self-taught is that you don't know the names of various joints.........you just work out the joint you need from first principals, unaware of whether it has ever been made before. So I was completely stumped when I read "double rabbetted dovetail".

Mike

*.......I've worked it out! (I think)......if you needed to rebate all around the inside of a dovetailed frame then this is the joint for you!! ???

Andy King15/10/2008 08:57:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles

Hi Mike,

Yep, Reggie was in and out of the Gloucester side when JR was on test duty and did well enough, but how do you permanently dispose the then England No1! He was being chased by a few counties at the time, but stayed loyal to them, which probably cost him a bit more fame and maybe fortune.

As for the joint? It's used on boat hatches as it has water integrity from both sides of the joint. A standard dovetail has an open shoulder. You could use a rebate without the splay, but the old shipwright who introduced me to it when I was involved in building a replica ship in Bristol said it was tradition to show the bevelling, so I've done them like it since. I'm unlikely to use it elsewhere, i have to admit!
I watched Rob Cosman demoing at Axminster a few years ago and he runs a micro rebate along one part of the joint as a solid reference for marking out and a clean line, so I suppose that could be an adaptation.

Andy

Mike Garnham15/10/2008 09:06:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

Andy,

There was very little fame and absolutely no fortune to be had playing county cricket!!! Money was never a factor for me, as I was just happy to be paid at all for playing a game, but the Chief Executive's PA was paid more than the players!!!

Yes, that micro-rebate is a good idea, and I've done it myself a number of times over the years. It certainly helps to keep everything aligned properly for marking out, and the line of the inside of the joint is cleaner.

Next time I'm making a ships hatch I will remember this joint!

Mike

Olly Parry-Jones15/10/2008 09:46:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Jack Russell? He was in my village only a few weeks ago! I think Cleeve were playing a Gloucerstershire CCL, or something... Don't ask me, I'm not a cricket fan!!
Sparky15/10/2008 12:56:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Weve got a Jack Russell living next door to us..........always barking.........

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact