By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Padauk & Maple pen

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Doug08/06/2010 08:44:42
3415 forum posts
35 photos
I`ve been messing about with some off cuts, after seeing a chap who makes pens with different coloured woods to make patterns.

He uses shop bought coloured wood & makes union jack pens amongst others.

I found some padauk & maple in the off cuts bin & decided to give it a go myself. It was a little more time consuming than i thought & if i`m honest i should have paid greater attention to drilling the segments, as this would have meant the bricks would have lined up more accurately. 

That said i quite enjoyed making it & will give it another go.

Cheers.

Baz  
Oddjob08/06/2010 10:28:34
1635 forum posts
79 photos
That is very good Baz.
How about a "How To," at least for the construction of the blank.

Richard 
Sparky08/06/2010 16:30:25
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Oh Baz, this is different and the outcome is great.......

Did you find it hard to get  the woods in order to have this pattern or did you have a jig?

Certainly came out well for the first one. well done mate

Marc

Sam08/06/2010 17:15:44
386 forum posts
110 photos
Hi Bazz   .    Very nice indeed , I have got to say that I see that as a task where my fingers would be a stuck together LOL  .   I do like the contrast in the colors and way you have made such a small pattern . Must have been fun to turn .

Kind regards Sam 
Mark Sutton08/06/2010 18:30:12
193 forum posts
59 photos
Hi Baz
Pen looks really nice, lots of fiddly work there i see.

Mark
Doug08/06/2010 21:54:14
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Thanks for the nice comments guys.

I will take a few snaps when i do another & make a WIP of making the blank.

It`s not that fiddly really to make the blank, though gluing each segment to the pen tube with super glue proved interesting .

The only jig i could do with is one to hold the segments while i`m drilling them, though i`ve an idea for that, quite a simple affair.

The main problem i need to over come is the contamination of the darker coloured "mortar" into the lighter coloured "bricks",  any suggestions gratefully recieved.

Cheers.

Baz  
Sparky08/06/2010 22:14:00
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Baz
Could that be from using the finish when on the lathe?
Are you using cellulose finish at all?

It seems to be pulling the colour to the 'brick' when spinning, perhaps using a very fine artists  paint brush to seal the mortar before applying the finish......just a thought.

Marc 
Ralph Harvey08/06/2010 22:44:03
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Baz

Thats great, i have seen some pre-prepared blanks that dont look as good but cost a small fortune !

As to the bleeding from the paduke, try purpleheart it will give just as much a dramatic look but the colour shouldnt bleed ? hopefully.

Ralph
Doug09/06/2010 07:41:15
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Marc.

The colour from the padauk was bleeding into the maple when just using the skew, as the bevel rubbed from the red to the white.
I changed to a gauge which was better re bleeding, but doesn`t leave such a good finish, so more sanding, which again caused the problem. 
I could try soaking the veneer in sanding sealer, prior to gluing, i`ll give it more thought.

Thanks Ralph.

I`ve got a purple heart bowl blank somewhere, so will give your suggestion a try when i`ve found it.

Cheers.

Baz  

dennis wake11/06/2010 06:11:37
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Baz
    i like the way you have done this pen if you can doe segmented pens then why not try a segmented bowl .
dennis
Alan T.11/06/2010 08:18:42
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Baz,  If I understand it correctly, you actually made each course of the brick pattern separately, drilled them and then slid them one at a time onto the pen tube,aligning the joints as you went to give the brick pattern, Must have been interesting if you used superglue. If this is the case then you deserve a medal. Well done anyway, I like the result.   Alan T. 
Doug11/06/2010 20:18:02
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Dennis.

This 1 little pen took long enough, i don`t think i`d have the patience to do a bowl.
That said it would thin out the off cuts pile, so i wont say never.

Alan.

You`ve got it spot on, i saw the pen chap again on wednesday at my local wood turning club. i showed him the pen & asked him if it was how he did it.

The only thing he does differently is, he turns the blank round before he cuts them in to the brick sizes, this makes lining them up easier.

The supergluing to the pen tube is quite fun, though i did have the de-bonder close to hand.

Cheers.

Baz  
Sparky11/06/2010 20:33:01
7631 forum posts
22 photos
"The supergluing to the pen tube is quite fun, though i did have the de-bonder close to hand."

A very wise precaution

Marc
Derek Lane13/06/2010 17:57:10
3218 forum posts
1004 photos
Sorry for not commenting earlier as I have been busy(Not in the workshop though). Great looking pen Baz. I bet you had great fun with this.

Not tried this but might be worth a go on some scrap first. Turn close to shape then apply sander sealer giving it possibly another coat if needed, Then finish to size giving it a coat just before the sanding.
sad sam13/06/2010 18:35:36
597 forum posts
234 photos
hi baz
great pen you must have a lot of patience i could not do that turn pens yes but you have done something differant  very well done
sadsam

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact