By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Robert Sorby Spiralling tool

Help, I cant make it work.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ron Davis04/06/2010 20:45:55
1614 forum posts
201 photos
The club chairman has loaned out his Robert Sorby spiralling tool to Mick the Wood and we have been trying to make spiralls, and it does not seem to do what it says on the tin.

I can get a range of interesting textures, seeing as I want a spiral, what is wrong? We have only been trusted with the one wheel, the one that looks like a bicyle sprocket

Ron
Sparky04/06/2010 22:03:15
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Ron

Try these videos >> here <<  as I think its best to watch than explain.

Like to see what you both come up with

Marc
Mark Sutton06/06/2010 09:43:07
193 forum posts
59 photos
Hi Ron

The stem on the identical goblets in my album, were created with the sorby spiralling tool. What you describe in your  request, sounds like to me that you have the texturing wheel and not the spiral tooth bits, there are 4 wheels with the complete kit.

Try this link
  Link
 Then go the the instruction page, towards the bottom is the spiralling tool, hope this helps

Mark

Edited By Mark Sutton on 06/06/2010 09:50:55

Ron Davis06/06/2010 17:55:42
1614 forum posts
201 photos
Thanks guys, I have looked at the videos, and I can see a discussion with the chairman coming up. Yes we have only got the texturing tool and it will take a month of Sundays to get a spiral with it.

Thanks for the links, as Sparky said it was easier to watch it rather that try to write about it

Ron
George Arnold06/06/2010 21:54:36
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Ron
I hope you get it sorted, you seem to be on a downward spiral.
George

PS Did you get the lathe thread sorted?
George
Ron Davis07/06/2010 19:39:50
1614 forum posts
201 photos
Thnks George, I knew I could rely on you for a pun. Actually we are on an upwards spiral, no thanks to Robert Sorby;s tool though!

The lathe is finished, on a dedicated stand and works a treat, why manufacurers abndoned the Tyme idea of asuare bed bars with one at 45 degrees I do not know, this littlathe drills a hole better than any other I have used.

Thanks to a member who has a metal turning lathe and a knowledge of metal turning, I have an adaptor for my Axminster chuck, (whick is more than Axminster could provide) made from scratch, and also made from scratch an arbour with 3/4*16 thread which fits into the morse taper oin the head stock.

I intend to put pics on the site, but as members have yet to see the lathe I will wait till next week following our Monday meeting, at which the lathe illm star!

My members reward for all that work, he is now on the committee

Ron
Julian07/06/2010 22:29:05
552 forum posts
28 photos
Hi Ron,

I have been reading the mail on this one so I am glad you got the adapter sorted out I am sure we will se some pics at a later date.
Good luck at the club

Julian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact