By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Record

My new Lathe

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sam30/05/2010 22:25:45
386 forum posts
110 photos
  Evening all .  Just to give you an update . I havent done any turning as of late . I was beginning to outgrow my Nu-Tool lathe . I wasnt going to buy a chuck for it as it was to expensive and I was looking to upgrade . 

Last week I was given a good as new Record lathe . ( I will upload some photos tomorrow  )   It came with a few extras , like a replacement end for bowl turning rest when you swivel the head , a face plate  for screwing on a blanks , a small chuck ( the type you get on a drill .  I stipped the drive centre and live tail stock off the old lathe .  I still would like  to get a big chck for holding a work piece but spends dont allow that at the moment .

And today I finally put it all  together and wanted to get started on some new pieces so at 11 this morning I darted ( carefully ) down to yandles and picked me up a couple of Banksia nuts . At £2.50 each I thought they were a steal . Having never worked anything remotely like it , I was keen to play . I am currently turning a piece that has a combination   of Banksia nut , Bubinga and Purple Heart . It is not meant to be anything particular but more of a play and see exercise as I have been limited to working between two points and being able to work the end of a piece is going to be a new challenge . 

I have turned the bulk of the project and glues the components today and will hopefully finish it tomorrow so will post some pictures for a chuckle . 

Kind regards Sam

Julian30/05/2010 22:42:27
556 forum posts
28 photos
Hi Sam
It must be great to be given things like that. I look forward to seeing the pics.
by the way, what model is it ?

Julian
Alan T.31/05/2010 09:05:28
1033 forum posts
98 photos
You must have been born lucky to receive a gift like that. Good luck to you and look forward to seeing your first project. Just be careful if you have not turned Banksia nut before.They
have a habit of flying off the lathe and the fine hairs they contain can be very irritant, also the seed come out like machine gun bullets. Good luck.   Alan T.

Edited By Alan T. on 31/05/2010 09:06:09

Dave Atkinson31/05/2010 09:31:19
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi Sam

Sounds like fun - look forward to seeing the pics.

Cheers Dave 
dennis wake31/05/2010 11:45:12
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Sam
    look forward to seeing your turned products. have fun and enjoy.
dennis
Sparky31/05/2010 13:44:03
7631 forum posts
22 photos
No stopping you now mate...should have another album filled in no time

Marc
Ron Davis31/05/2010 16:03:05
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Sam, good luck with the lathe, llike the others I lok forward to thepix,

I take it you are careful with eye protection anyway but please be extra carefull with your banksia nuts. They are not nuts to start with but cones from a conifer and the seeds are in the slots which give the nut its distictice look, they can come out and fly anywhere!

Ron
Sam31/05/2010 22:15:47
386 forum posts
110 photos
Cheers all . I have been very lucky indeed . I was given it by a very good friend who had outgrown it . The only down side is that it needs to be hand started as the capacitor is dud . Luckily a new capacitor is only £16.00 .    It is a DML36SH  MK2   . I have been playing today again and have finished the first item as described yesterday .

I finished it with Superior Danish Oil and it looks Gorgeous .  The bottom is Bubinga , middle is Banksia Nut /Cone and top is Purple Heart .  I joined them by turning each end of the nut a a dowel and then drilled the ends to match , creating a socket and glued them , I know it is not much of a design statement but my imagination is pants at creativity .

Thanks for the tips on working with the Nuts as I did find the hair a bit itchy , and I did find the projectiles a but aggressive too . Luckily I always use safety glasses ( clear ) and a respirator as I like my lungs !! But was still expecting a flying nut as it was fun to mount with any sense .  

Here is my new lathe and parts 

showing the 100mm face plate mounted

On the left is the replacement arm for the stand that is used for turning bowls when the motor is turned out  for large turnings . The only thing I cant work out is what the 2 round discs on the right are for !!

Cheers For looking  and there may be a free lathe up for grabs !! 

Kind regards Sam

Edited By sparky on 01/06/2010 14:03:40

Sam31/05/2010 22:17:55
386 forum posts
110 photos
Ah the top picture has gone out of shape , it is a little taller than it looks . LOL

dennis wake01/06/2010 08:24:10
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Sam
    try going to a washing machine  repair shop you may get the capasitor for less than £16 i did.
dennis
Julian01/06/2010 13:18:30
556 forum posts
28 photos
Hi Sam

Is it me or are the pictures not there !
As Dennis says, a washing machine repair shop or other similar repair facility may have something as surplus. When you make the enquiry make sure you either take the old one with you or the physical size of the capacitor and the elctrical size, it's value could be anything from a few uF to 100uf and may be labeled uF or MFD.

Julian

Edited By Julian on 01/06/2010 13:19:25

Sparky01/06/2010 14:07:56
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Sam

Could you upload the images to your album and let me know where each image goes in your post and I'll place them for you.

It seems Photo bucket has a glitch  with its embed code.

Cheers

Marc
Sam01/06/2010 22:04:45
386 forum posts
110 photos
 Sorry about that , I only used photobucket as I am having trouble loading pictures as my broadband is getting bad ( have engineer coming thursday ) .   Thanks for the offer Marc , just popped them down here .

Please excuse the dust  , it is new I assure you .

The two unidentified discs on the right .

Kind Regards Sam 

dennis wake01/06/2010 22:30:32
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Sam
     the 2 unidentifyed disks on the right are for if you atach the lathe to a work bench they are washers to go on the underside of the work bench.if you want i have the free dvd for setting the lathe up as i have the sams lathe. i can get one and send you it if you need one.
dennis

Edited By sparky on 02/06/2010 01:50:45

Sparky02/06/2010 02:03:55
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Nice one Sam, glad you got it sorted.
Very nice lathe and it will bring you many a happy hour in the workshop.

Very much like the nut, great finish on it too. I bet it was fun turning.

well done

Marc

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact