Side Table

The beginnings of a new project!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Olly Parry-Jones30/05/2010 08:42:31
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Hi guys,

I've started a new album here titled "Side Table", which will be designed to complement an arm chair I've been making at college, for the last few months.

Here's a shot of the chair, made from English ash with an English walnut seat:

[Apologies for all the cramps in this photo!! ]

If you want to know a bit more about this, there should be some more information on my blog, somewhere.

With the half-term break now upon us and only three-weeks left of the course, I decided to bring all my "offcuts" home so I can start working on this sooner and finish in time for the exhibition.

Yes, that's still an awful lot of wood! And, I still have much of it left over after roughing out the components for the table...

When I bought all this wood back in December, I had to buy the 2in ash as it came - in this case, each board was 10ft long with 26in between the bark!!! If it wasn't for all the splits down the centres of these boards, I could easily have gotten away with buying just one. The walnut was going cheap as it wasn't the best quality. It's worked quite well with my seat, actually.

Here's the design, then:

Admittedly, a couple of minor alterations still need to be made to this drawing but, it's otherwise just about there.

This is what I have in mind for the top:

I'm hoping it will complement the edge-jointed boards of the seat - which are almost book-matched, except for another piece glued in between:

I was looking at my collection of walnut again last night and it looks as though the boards I have still aren't wide enough for two-piece book-matching... In which case, I may have to create a diamond-quarter pattern, or something.

That's all for now. I won't be making a start before the wood's had a few days to acclimatise indoors (although, it is very dry, right now) and I also need to buy a new trimming cutter for my router and possibly get my planer knives sharpened as well.

There are a few extra photos in my album, if you fancy having a look.

Olly.

Edited By OPJ on 30/05/2010 08:43:13

Edited By OPJ on 30/05/2010 08:44:48

Joe O 330/05/2010 13:14:22
203 forum posts
Another example of quality design and craftsmanship from Olly!
Well done!
Joe.
Sparky30/05/2010 14:21:58
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Another great project Olly and as Joe mentioned, quality design.

Well done mate
Marc
Big Al30/05/2010 16:22:42
1604 forum posts
73 photos
Hi Olly, the sketch that you have made for the table show's the top as having ash edging all round and mitred at the corners.

Are you going to cut your own veneers from the walnut and laminate it to a man made board such as MDF?

My only suggestion would be to use this method as if you edge solid walnut, the walnut will move and your joints will open up. Just remember to balance the the top as this may cause cupping.

Love the chair.

Al 
Mailee30/05/2010 20:23:00
1048 forum posts
1235 photos
I did see this on another forum and was impressed with the design. There is certainly some craftsmanship in that chair Olly. Have to agree with Big al about the movement on the table top and would go for a veneered MDF centre. quality work as usual mate.
Olly Parry-Jones30/05/2010 20:29:12
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Thanks for your comments, guys.

Al and Mailee - don't worry, that is already what I plan to do. Not only to reduce any issues of timber movement, but also to economise on the small amount of walnut I have left. Looks like it's going to be a diamond-quarter rather than two-piece book-match... I just need to decide which part I'm going to use!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact