large alphabet

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
dennis wake26/05/2010 23:16:59
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi all
    i have been asked by a friend at work to do his wife a set of letters at 200mm in size in wood for ther nursery. has any one gat any idea where i can down load and print them from.
dennis
Dave Atkinson27/05/2010 09:30:10
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi Dennis

Do you have access to Microsoft Word, if so you can make you own.

Open a new document and type a letter. Highlight the letter with your cursor and then click the A with an up arrow next to it on the toolbar.  This is next to the box that has the fontstyle and size.  You can then get the letter to the size you want.  if you scroll through the fonts you can also get the style you want as well.

Hope that all makes sense, if not let me know and I'll try to takes some screen shots for you. 

Cheers Dave 
Oddjob27/05/2010 11:06:29
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Hi Dennis

If you don't have Microsoft Word then you can do prettymuch the same with Wordpad.  This comes "free" with Windows Accessories so I'm sure you'll have that.  The choice of fonts may be less but there are more than enough for most needs.

Richard
Richard Brown27/05/2010 11:30:44
12 forum posts
Dennis

If you are printing the 26 letters at 200mm (about 8" high in old money), make sure you find a suitable font (Character set) that is 'hollow' when printing. Unless you have shares in a computer printer ink company.

Good luck

Richard Brown
Julian27/05/2010 13:15:57
552 forum posts
28 photos
FYI Dennis

72pt = 1"

Julain

dennis wake27/05/2010 22:57:39
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Dave ,Richard and Julian
  thankyou for your info i have managed to understand what you are telling me . i have been able to get the letters at the size i need but not able to use it as an outline of the letter as i do not want to use all of my ink if this is posable.the job i have to do is seporat letters to make the words BABY NURSERY. and CHARLIES ROOM the last is only to be 4 " tall all in caps .
     dennis
Richard Brown28/05/2010 07:16:53
12 forum posts
Dennis

What you need is an 'Outline' font, one that only prints the outside edges of each letter.  There are many, though a lot are a bit 'weird' in shape etc.
Search 'google' for 'outline fonts' and download any you fancy.
Most are free.

Richard
Dave Atkinson28/05/2010 09:20:47
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi Dennis

You may have to bite the bullet to get the font you want but when you come to print if you select the "properties"  button on the print screen it will take you to the properties menu for the printer.  Have a look around and you will find a heading print quality or dots per inch.  Under quality there is likely to be a heading draft or even fast draft.  Select one of these, it reduces the print quality and uses much less ink.
If there is a setting for dots per inch use the lowest one you can find.

Cheers Dave 
Oddjob28/05/2010 11:14:42
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Hi Dennis

Wise words from Dave there.  You can also search on Google for "Free Fonts" and you will find lots of different fonts available.  There is certain to be one there somewhere that just prints the outline of the letters.
Printing solid letters doesn't use as much ink as you might think.  For the 23 that you require will, I guess, cost less than 20p in ink.
Let us know how you get on.

Richard
Julian28/05/2010 13:01:58
552 forum posts
28 photos
Dennis

Look down your font list for "outline" font and then if you have a reasonable printer it will just give you a fine outline of the letters so as not to use too much ink.  Let us know how you get on, I can always do it for you in Corel Draw and e-mail it to you. You can size it up to your requirements in whatever application you have.

Julian

dennis wake28/05/2010 21:53:22
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi all
    thank you for your info i have managed to get the prints to get the letters i need.
  dennis
Alan T.30/05/2010 08:25:52
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hi Guys, Here is a prime example of what this site is all about. Help requested to solve a problem is offered quickly and efficiently . Great stuff. Alan T. 
dennis wake07/06/2010 21:46:14
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi All
 thank you to all that helped me with the letters i have managed to get them done and will be giving them to my friend at work tomorow. hear are the ones i did

thank you all again.
  dennis
Dave Atkinson07/06/2010 21:58:06
672 forum posts
115 photos
Great Stuff Dennis

Your mate will be delighted I'm sure

Cheers Dave 
Sparky07/06/2010 22:01:02
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Thats great Dennis, well done mate, they will be very pleased with that.

Marc 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact