By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Trees to Timber

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy Bell21/05/2010 11:09:39
156 forum posts
43 photos
I've taken a massive and unexpected plundge.
Me and the Wife have bought a 7 1/4 acre wood. We both loved the idea and went ahead.
The possibilities for what we can do in there and with it seem almost endless.

Over time I will be managing it and extracting some timber. I've got a hell of a lot to learn.  One thing I do know is we need to do some thinning first by taking out the larch. Next some oak, beech and sycamore.

I hope to be able to mill it on site and put the excess up for sale.
One of things I'll have to work out is what size timber is most valued by woodworkers. Boat builders etc.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts.

Cheers Andy

Edited By Andy Bell on 21/05/2010 11:10:17

Edited By Andy Bell on 21/05/2010 11:13:18

Sparky21/05/2010 16:08:28
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Clear a space and build a log cabin right in the middle!!

At least its not totally dark in there, light looks like it penetrates down to soil level.

Cracking images Andy, thanks for the link

What part of the country are you?

Good luck and it will be great to see it develop over the coming years.

Marc 
Oddjob21/05/2010 17:59:46
1635 forum posts
79 photos
That looks fantastic Andy.  I quite envy you.  I know you have a lot of management work to do there but I'm sure it will give you and your wife a load of pleasure.  Looking forward to more pics as you progress.

Richard

Alan T.21/05/2010 20:02:36
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Andy, Congratulations and well done. Visions of charcoal production and pole lathe turning come to mind,or maybe even chain saw carving.The possibilities seem endless.
Of course there's also just the joy of walking through unspoilt woodland. Look forward to seeing what you do with it in time.   Cheers    Alan T. 

Edited By Alan T. on 21/05/2010 20:03:16

Andy Bell27/05/2010 15:44:58
156 forum posts
43 photos
Cheers Guys,

I think I could quite happily spend most of my life in there. I might get few nights camping next week (kids off school), we'll be badger watching.

Marc, Great minds and all that. We've picked a spot for cabin, just need to feel some little sycamore.  We'll lose a bit more light when the full foliage is out, should keep the brambles down.

Alan, I've always fancied being a bodger, so no doubt I'll be giving it a go some time. More down to earth than the stair newel.

I'm near Chesterfield, Derbyshire. 
I'll keep you posted If any of the little ventures get of the ground, or even if they dont.

At the moment we're still at phase of wondering about  enjoying it and thinking about the possibilities.

Andy   

Sparky27/05/2010 19:42:25
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Posted by Andy Bell on 27/05/2010 15:44:58:
Cheers Guys,

I think I could quite happily spend most of my life in there. I might get few nights camping next week (kids off school), we'll be badger watching.

Marc, Great minds and all that. We've picked a spot for cabin, just need to feel some little sycamore.  We'll lose a bit more light when the full foliage is out, should keep the brambles down.

At the moment we're still at phase of wondering about  enjoying it and thinking about the possibilities.

Andy, your love watching the badgers mate, if there are any young (Cubs or Kits), your be trying not to laugh out load when they get up to the tricks..........usually with the father (Boar) is not watching them!

Its something I always wanted to live in is a log cabin. I remember years back on (I think) Discovery were the couple made a cabin from scratch, brilliant watching it grow and finally lived in.

All said and done, this is the precious moment just admiring what you have and see the seasons within it and going by the spring images, wow what a sight to watch unfold.

Best of luck in whatever you do with it.

Marc
Andy Bell28/05/2010 14:13:18
156 forum posts
43 photos
Due to planning regs we can't go mad with a cabin, It's suposed to be a temporary structure.  I'm thinking of something like a low tree house with living trees as the four corners.  We'll be under canvas untill I get round to it.

We are only aloud to spend 28 nights in there, So thats next years holidays sorted. 

First thing I've got to sort  is Toilet. I've found out women aren't keen on doing the proverbial Bear impressions. I've come across whats called a "Tree Bog". All the doings are rapidly absorbed in to the ground and taken up by willow planted around it.

I'll keep a lookout for the cubs/kits.

Cheers
Andy

PS. Anyone got a quality Chainsaw going cheap?

or do they all go VRRRROOMMMM

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Transwave 2017
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Tormek
Tool Post
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact