By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

softwood only :-(

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
zac wingfield06/10/2008 15:21:00
58 forum posts
1 photos
hi all, i want to follow the tutorial on this site for dove tail joints. in the tut he uses English ash. my problem is i cant seem to get hold of anything other than soft wood (pine).i live close to a Travis Perkins and they only stock softwood. where can i go to see a larger selection of wood?I live south coast NR Brighton.thankszac
Mike Riley06/10/2008 16:02:00
337 forum posts
5 photos
5 articles
Brighton & Hove Wood Recycling Project Circus St, Brighton, East Sussex BN2 9QF Tel: 01273 570500 Might be useful.
Olly Parry-Jones06/10/2008 16:16:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

Hi Zac. I don't like anywhere near you but, you may find some information on this link and another one. Hope this helps.

If you were to stick with softwood, by the way, you should change the angles of the pins and tails from 1:8 to 1:6.

zac wingfield06/10/2008 17:41:00
58 forum posts
1 photos
thanks to both of you for getting back. all info noted
Mike Garnham06/10/2008 19:41:00
4114 forum posts
1 photos

Zac,

whilst you now know where to get some other wood-types, if you are just practising dovetails I would stick with the cheapness of pine. I can't see the point of wasting expensive wood on practising joints. The skills are just the same, although admittedly the ash will give you a crisper finish to both you saw cuts and your chiselling. It really is many times the cost.

Mike

zac wingfield07/10/2008 14:54:00
58 forum posts
1 photos

thanks mike.

for anyone else reading this post in the future i also found this place, looks great.

http://www.wlwest.co.uk/

Nick Thompson13/10/2008 22:01:00
15 forum posts
4 photos

i have always found that although you are unlikly to get as nice a looking finished joint with pine it is fine to practice with (as mike says why waste more exspensive wood)and it can also be harder to work with than hard woods (as it is prone to splinter) so if you can get a good joint with pine you should have no problem when using hard woods.

Nick

Andy King13/10/2008 22:40:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles

I tend to think the opposite - I agree pine is cheaper so not so damaging on the pocket when mistakes are made, but as it compresses more readily than common hardwoods such as oak, sapele etc, you can get away with a slightly tight joint that may split in hardwoods.
Working with harder timbers almost forces you to become more accurate from the off, and that's what I tend to recommend.
If I was to go for softwood, I'd recommend good quality redwood, U/S (unsorted) grade for joinery, but again, not all timber yards stock this, the Travis Perkins in Bath used to stock, but not any more, last time I wanted joinery timber from them it was more like floor joists! Hopefully you may be luckier in Brighton!

cheers,

Andy

Olly Parry-Jones14/10/2008 10:04:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Andy, I'm pretty sure Bristol City Timber stock u/s redwood.
Andy King14/10/2008 10:32:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles

They do indeed Olly, but I was referring to Travis Perkin as a supplier as Zac had posted that he lives near one and they used to stock u/s redwood in the Bath branch, so maybe the Brighton one does as well. Bristol is a bit far from Brighton!

cheers,

Andy

zac wingfield14/10/2008 10:36:00
58 forum posts
1 photos
to be honest i think the Brighton & Hove Wood Recycling Project looks the most promising from looking at their web-site.
Olly Parry-Jones15/10/2008 09:00:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

Ah, sorry Andy, I mis-read what you were saying!

(There's also a Wood Recycling Project in Bristol.... Though, I've heard their floorboards in particular are quite expensive, to the exten that it may be cheaper to buy the same stuff 'new' in redwood.)

Toothy15/10/2008 17:30:00
458 forum posts
67 photos

Hi Zac

Just a simple observation: make sure your chisels are really very SHARP if you do practice on pine else you will NOT get a good joint.  If you can shave with them you should be OK

Toothy

zac wingfield06/10/2008 15:21:00
58 forum posts
1 photos
hi all, i want to follow the tutorial on this site for dove tail joints. in the tut he uses English ash. my problem is i cant seem to get hold of anything other than soft wood (pine).i live close to a Travis Perkins and they only stock softwood. where can i go to see a larger selection of wood?I live south coast NR Brighton.thankszac
Mike Riley06/10/2008 16:02:00
337 forum posts
5 photos
5 articles
Brighton & Hove Wood Recycling Project Circus St, Brighton, East Sussex BN2 9QF Tel: 01273 570500 Might be useful.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Wood Workers Workshop
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
D&M Tools
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Tormek
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact