By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Alteration to my hollowing tool

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Doug16/05/2010 20:10:52
3415 forum posts
35 photos
A while ago i made this hollowing tool.

I`d bought the cranked shaft from Yandles at one of the shows & decided to turn a handle & buy a little brother cutting tip & limiter, to make my first hollowing tool.

I`ve now used the tool for a while, but in truth i`ve found it awkward to use & the entry hole needs to be quite big.

So after seeing Rolly Munro demonstrate  his hollowing tool at Axminster Nuneaton recently, i decided it was time i made adjustments to the old tool.

Starting with the shaft i cut off the cranked section & machined a flat on the end of the bar, this was then drilled & tapped.
Next to give it more articulation i made a link from an old 13mm bolt, i`ve kept the Hamlet cutting tip for now & hopefully will have time over the next few weeks to give the new look tool a good work out.

Cheers.

Baz  

Edited By baz on 16/05/2010 20:13:08

Sparky16/05/2010 21:09:41
7631 forum posts
22 photos
I'll tell you what Baz, you've saved a load of money by making this and I bet your have more luck using it.
You've done an excellent job and you could be making a few more for customers once you show the end result!

There is Philly planes........and now a Bazy bolt cutter

Well done mate

Marc 
Oddjob17/05/2010 08:26:26
1635 forum posts
79 photos
That looks like a whizzer to me Baz.  Looking forward to the results in due course.

Richard
Alan T.19/05/2010 19:49:08
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Baz,  I have a similar if not the same kind of tool by Sorby. They are of course designed to fit through narrow necked vessels and I find it almost impossible to stop the thing twisting away from the surface being turned and of course the further down you go the worse it becomes. The finish achieved is not very good so I don't use it much if at all.
Wouldn't buy another. Please comment as that is the only way to learn.   Cheers    Alan T.  

Edited By Alan T. on 19/05/2010 19:50:42

Doug19/05/2010 20:27:15
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Hi Alan.

I`m still to use the tool in anger & unfortunately this weekend has now been taken up by other jobs, but i will post when i`ve used it.

I found the cranked shaft awkward to control, with the tool wanting to tip downwards, but having seen Rolly, a lot of what he said made sense.

Basically the cutting tip needs to be inline with the shaft, so the forces are running straight, though he did say (as with all things) practice was necessary.

I`ve not seen the Sorby tool, but will look out for it on my travels & as i`ve said, post my finding on the alterations when i`ve used it.

Best wishes.

Baz  
Dave Atkinson20/05/2010 15:28:15
672 forum posts
115 photos
That's pretty dammed clever Baz - I have a Rolly tool and it's not too hard to use - takes a bit of practice.  On wet wood it's great fun.  as the wood gets drier it gets more difficult.

Let us know how you get on

Cheers Dave 
Doug20/05/2010 17:56:26
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Hi Dave,

Thanks mate, i`m looking forward to finding the time for practice.

Apparently Rolly has developed a different cutting tip for dry wood, though i`m not sure of the details. 

Good to see you posting.

best wishes.

Baz  
George Arnold20/05/2010 21:18:09
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Hi Baz

On my BCT hollowing tool there is an outrigger that rest on the tool rest to stop the twist
The maximum cutting depth is just under 7in the total overall length of the tool is 22in
You can of course have a side handle as with some of the other hollowing systems
You are doing a grand job hope it works out,

George
Dave Atkinson21/05/2010 08:30:08
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi again

Interesting about the cutter for dry wood Baz, I;ll have a look and see.

I've found the hardest part of this hollowing lark is when you come across a knot or something similar.  if the grain is fairly tru then it's fairly easy but when you get a knot the tools tends to bounce and vibrate, so a firm grip and gentle cuts are the order of the day.

Looks like the weather is set for the weekend.  I did my garden last week so maybe on Saturday I can escape to the shed

Cheers Dave 
Doug27/05/2010 22:53:59
3415 forum posts
35 photos
Thanks George & Dave for your comments.

Tonight i managed to escape to the workshop for a couple of hours & finally try out the tool,  firstly the result of my labours.

This hollow form is made from some semi spalted Sycamore i got from a forum member, it is fairly dry wood, but turned really well.

The alterations to the tool worked a treat, i achieved a far better finish off the tool than i had managed before & there was a better feel coming back from the tip, i`ve managed a fairly smooth 1/8 of an inch wall thickness.

Whilst i have a lot more to learn about hollowing & honing my technique, i`m really pleased with the out come so far.

Cheers.

Baz  
Sparky27/05/2010 23:04:19
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Baz, you should be really happy with these results mate, a cracking bowl.

As the saying goes, practise makes perfect and I for one think you may not need so much practise after all.

Whats next, a smaller entry point?

Well done mate, great job.

Marc
Dave Atkinson28/05/2010 09:13:33
672 forum posts
115 photos
Hi Baz

You've done a great job.  I shall have to get busy over the weekend!

Cheers Dave 
George Arnold28/05/2010 19:47:26
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Baz
That's a nice bowl well done , very satisfying ,what with making the tool and all,

George
Ralph Harvey11/07/2010 23:38:14
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Baz

Thats a cracking hollow form and a great tool too, well done indeed

Ralph

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Robert Sorby
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Triton
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Tormek
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact