By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

help

router/table

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nigel Bennett07/10/2008 23:26:00
153 forum posts
38 photos

Hi Andy the extension is from Trend. What make is your Router? How good are the head bearings? Any movement? My first router was a B&Q MCallister,seemed good value ,it was crap! bearings in head stock had too much free play and  as a consequence would vibrate at high speed.

The other thing the Trend has is a very good Collet system. They are   ground and with a very slow tapper that locks in to the collect housing. This is why the collect has to be fitted into the gland nut before fitting to the router. I also make sure the tapers and cutter bore on the Collet's are really clean.

regards Nigel.

Andy Bell08/10/2008 10:39:00
156 forum posts
43 photos

Hi Nigel,

My router is a Trend 11 (same as yours by the looks) The extension however is  Record Power, supplied with the router table.  It looks exactly the same as one in your pictures, so I thought you had the Record Power extension as well.

Is everyone happy with CMT extensions? At £27.50 from axminster it looks good value. The Trend one around £50 as is the Dakota from Rutlands (but tht has a 1/4" adapator as well).  

Andy

Dauid Kent08/10/2008 12:41:00
217 forum posts
1 photos
hi Nigel  the cmt extension cost me 34 pounds and its in 3 pieces so if any of it get damage you dont have to by it all again  daue
Ivor the engine08/10/2008 16:00:00
270 forum posts
46 photos

Hi,  Tell me why does one need a extention on a router as i wonder if a router was designed for one as in my view if one was using a large cutter or any other cutter come to that it would put more stress on the bearings and cause vibration with more pieces to come loose i would think twice about using one,

I would be interested to know why one would need an extention as i have not heard of them before,

Ivor.

Olly Parry-Jones08/10/2008 16:41:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

Ivor, they're only used in table-mounted routers, often to compensate for the loss in depth of cut capacity when fixing the router to the underside of a plate of top. They can also be useful in those situations where your cutter is only 2 or 3mm short!

I certainly wouldn't like to use a larger raised panel cutter in one though.  I think you're right with your concerns towards vibration...

John Kinch08/10/2008 18:40:00
205 forum posts
91 photos
hi I've just modified my B&Q Pro router to increase the depth of plunge by half an inch by cutting down the body of the dust cover, which is the stop for the plunge. The collet now comes through most of the table plate  and finishes almost flush with the surface of the table top.    John Kinch.
Nigel Bennett08/10/2008 22:42:00
153 forum posts
38 photos

Hi all

The main reason I use a extension in my table mounted router is because, when using a top mounted bearing profile cutter it doesn’t come through the table top sufficiently. However from the engineering point of view, if the spinning assembly is concentric, balanced and the bearings correctly designed , and assuming excessive pressure isn't placed on the cutter so as to cause it to deflect,there should be no problem with this type of assembly. But though I have never used a panel cutter, the length of the cutting face would apply large pressures on any router!

Regard all ,Nigel.

James Richardson 106/04/2018 14:48:20
1 forum posts

The only thing I'm sure about is this baby is not created to use it at full speed. My husband also tried it once, so that's why I know it. But if you already had some problems, it's better to replace it, because more problems will pop up with time (because I had some experience again). We solved it thanks to **LINK**, so you can go to check the source and find the most suitable replacement for you.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Good Woodworking or The Woodworker? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Good Woodworking & The Woodworker

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Woodworking? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Triton
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Chris Tribe Furniture
Tool Post
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact