By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Sharpening

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Delboy26/04/2010 17:45:07
36 forum posts
This has always been a bit of a problem area for me. Having tried all sorts of methods with varing results (most not all that good) I have now invested in a Scheppach wetstone system (I couldn't really afford the Tormek). Its still early days yet so not sure if this will improve my efforts but does anyone know what angle would be best for knives (kitchen type for her indoors).
I have bought the "long knife" jig but also on this subject I see the planer knife jig is a whopping £138. I cannot use the kitchen knife jig for these (8 inches) it does not hold the blades securely so do I have any options or is it a case of "cough up"!!
Any advice on this and kitchen knife angles would be welcome.
Sparky26/04/2010 18:11:23
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Delboy

You should already know the angle............it is on the blade, just work out the angle by lowering the knife to the stone until it lays nicely on the sharpened part of the knife (shown darker grey in picture below) then, tilt the knife up around .5 (1/2) degree to let the stone sharpen the very top edge, as its only this that cuts...............you don't need to sharpen all of the blade (the darker edge). This is the same as sharpening a plane blade.......

Hope this helps.

Marc
Delboy26/04/2010 18:29:45
36 forum posts
Thanks Marc
Common sense prevails but in my previous attempts (manual) I have probably messed up a few knives. Still based on your comments a cautious approach angle will be tried.
Delboy 
Sparky26/04/2010 18:32:24
7631 forum posts
22 photos
You can't go wrong by matching the sharpened part of the knife...........just don't make it too sharp, it is for your other half don't forget!

Marc
Big Al26/04/2010 22:01:39
1601 forum posts
73 photos
delboy, I have a tormek, and once owned the planer knife jig. I found that it wasn't as good as I hoped it would be. It takes a long time to sharpen the planer knives and so I sold the jig a couple of years ago.

I have mine sharpened by a saw service company and the last time that I had them sharpened I think it cost somewhere in the region of £10. For the cost it is worth every penny.

Al 
Delboy27/04/2010 18:50:36
36 forum posts
Thanks Big Al
That's very interesting. I live only a few miles from Hamilton Edge Tools and up to now have used them but I thought having the machine I may as well try using it - that is until I saw the cost of the jig. Based on this and your comment I think I will stick with Hamilton (mmmm I wonder how they do them)
Delboy 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Transwave 2017
Wood Workers Workshop
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact