By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Whats Best

Various Items

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sam18/04/2010 21:54:36
386 forum posts
110 photos
   Hi all again . right Myself and my good Boss have beenbuilding up a stock of various wood items from turnings to flat items that we wish to start selling .  They are all made from various hardwoods . They are all furnishing items that will not be handled like a book wood be , if that makes sense . 

Which leads me on to my question , I need to finish / seal the  items but am looking for a product that does not require 20 coats  . I know I may not get a glass finish but the items do not justify it either .

So to sum up , I am looking for a simple application at a reasonable cost and not to time consuming . 

Alot to ask for but was wandering about good old Danish Oil , couple coats of .

Thanks in advance . 

Kind regards Sam
Olly Parry-Jones19/04/2010 20:51:03
2776 forum posts
636 photos
Hi Sam,

Last week, I bought this Hard Wax Oil finish from Chestnut via. The Turner's Workshop (click here). In the past, I've used Osmo's hard wax oil but, this new one seems thinner (easier to apply), possibly dries a bit faster and, when it's dry, it looks fantastic! Doesn't darken the wood even nearly as much as Danish or linseed oil.

I've found that two coats is all you really need, although you may want a third on an open-grained timber like oak or ash. You can dilute the first coat with white spirit but, I don't see the point; it really is that easy to apply.

I think the only really downside is that it takes about four-hours to dry though, that is a lot better than some of the oil finishes.

Hope this helps.
Sparky19/04/2010 21:08:40
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Olly

If its this wax you've used, I agree with you.

I've used it on a table, most carvings and around the house on wood products, brings up a nice satin sheen or, a nice gloss if a few layers are used.

On carvings its best to use a brush for both applying and buffing........great stuff.

Marc
Ron Davis19/04/2010 22:33:30
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Thats what I use Sparky, I have recently taken to sealing with melamine first, gives a better shine and builds up quicker

Ron

Edited By Ron Davis on 19/04/2010 22:33:53

Sam24/04/2010 23:07:01
386 forum posts
110 photos
Sorry guys , I hadnt seen I had some replies .  Many thanks for your recommendations . The wax as shown in Marcs post as this seems to be what I am looking for . I do appreciate your input as there is so many Products on the market all claiming to be the best that it is hard to know where to begin . Once again , big thanks guys .

Sam 
JE17/07/2010 21:44:14
24 forum posts
Hi, All.

Have used, for the first time, the Melamine and Woodwax 22 finish on a breakfast bar table made of Ash that I just finished for my daughter.

Great advice, thanks.

John

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact