By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

swirls

sanding

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Shields18/04/2010 21:06:41
51 forum posts
21 photos
hi everyone, not been around for a whilebut hope you guys can help with my latest irritation. SADING SWIRLS i,m using a metabo orbital sander and starting off on 60g mirka grit on pine and hardwood i get those little swirls coming through when i put the waterbased stain on. ok i do go through the grades 60g 120g 240g then a really fine paper. i think the 60g could be causing the problem but i was hoping someone might just have a better idea.

regards to all
mike shields
Oddjob18/04/2010 22:02:24
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Mike

60g sounds a bit harsh for my money - you'll be sanding to quite a depth with that size of grit.  I wouldn't start with anything coarser than 120g if I was expecting a fine finish.

A cabinet scraper (I use craft knife blades for tight spots) will resolve your current problem quicker and better than sanding.

Richard
Ralph Harvey18/04/2010 22:31:30
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Mike

I like to start with 120 or even 150 grit but like Richard says a cabinet scraper is a good tool to use,

Failing that a good practice to get used to is to always sand in the direction of the grain at the end of each grit it dosnt need much of a rub down just enough to loose the fine (as you say) Swirls.

Ralph
Sparky18/04/2010 22:32:02
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Crikey Michael, 60 is very corse. As Richard has mentioned, start off using softer grit.

If the wood needs a lot of sanding, I would start off with 80 then 100, 120 240........and dont press down to hard with the sander, that maybe getting grit to heat up and clog the paper even more and making more swirls. just light pressure and let the weight of the sander do most of the work.
I totally agree with Richard in regards with the scraper, great tool to have

..........One other thing you could try is use a belt cleaner...(pic below)
Turn the sander over, turn on and drag the cleaner over it a few times, this will declog much of the sanding sheet and will give you more use out of the paper.

Good luck and dont forget to show us how your doing

Marc
Michael Shields19/04/2010 19:27:30
51 forum posts
21 photos
thanks for the info i seem to have developed a bad habbit of useing 60g to begin with i do have a selection of cabinet scrapers but i,m a bit hit and miss with them. any sharpening and preparation tips would be great.
best regards
mike shields
Sparky19/04/2010 19:38:04
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Michael

Ralph Laughton did a write up about scrapers in the December 2009 issue of the Woodworker, if your a subscriber, heres your chance of seeing it via the back issues enless you have that issue.

Marc

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Craft Supplies
Felder UK April 2016
Marriott & Co
Robert Sorby
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Transwave 2017
Tormek
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact