By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Iceland

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy King17/04/2010 13:03:27
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
I've just been shopping in the local Iceland.
Got to the till and paid and the checkout girl asked if I wanted any ash back!

cheers,
Andy
Ron Davis17/04/2010 17:39:55
1614 forum posts
201 photos
Why,  were your ears burning?

Ron
Ralph Harvey17/04/2010 20:23:07
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
I was quite supprised when i went to Iceland earlier,...... not as dusty as i thought ?

Ralph
Sparky17/04/2010 21:20:11
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Andy................................................
Tumble weed is going to be popular for that one mate...................

Did you swim Ralph?
Sparky17/04/2010 22:05:34
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Just had a thought (serious damage to head here! )...

I wonder if anyone has worked out which has had the most damage to the atmosphere.........the ash or the lack of airline fumes that help causing the green house effect?.

If that makes any sense

Marc 
Ralph Harvey17/04/2010 22:49:24
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Good point Marc

I feel sorry for the people on holidays, a friend of my doughters is on holiday in Egypt, she cant get back and they are talking of extending the no fly possibly into weeks ?

I would love to go to Egypt but i dont think i would like to be stuck there ! fortunatelly i am only of to Cornwall next month so no airport problems for me.

Might be nice to send all the polititions over there then we wouldnt have to listen to all that guff they keep coming up with !!

Ralph
Sparky17/04/2010 23:04:34
7631 forum posts
22 photos
I agree Ralph.

It also pees me off that other firms are ripping people off with B&B, taxis, coaches and ferries...............and one that made me very angry was the railways........there stopping all rail repairs to lay on more trains!!.............talk about hitting the down even further to make money even though their saying its to help the stranded...my arse!..........and why cant they stop all repairs while people are having bank holidays and the such?

I do know one thing, the resession is over for the transport firms!

Just wait till next week when the bigger volcano erupts.....this will test the will of many.

Egypt nice but Cornwall better

Marc 
Ralph Harvey17/04/2010 23:26:28
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Yes i agree Marc

Bloke in Asda yesterday was telling his staff we might get a food shortage because of the Planes being grounded ? have then never herd of boats or localy grown produce ? and then there was the postal service, the lady in front of me at the post office, they were not sure if a parcel she had would make it to South Africa ? they were happy to take the money though..

We prefer Cornwall anyway, much prefer to go there than anywere abroad, more for me to photograph, there and at the zoos on  the way there and back.

Ralph
John Kinch18/04/2010 20:00:09
206 forum posts
91 photos
Hi all, I'm one of the unlucky people stuck overseas due to the volcanic ash.
             My family were on holiday in a villa in florida for two weeks and were due to fly back home Thursday but flight was cancelled,rebooked to fly via Amsterdam and find ferry or train to UK but that was cancelled.
              We got as far as Atlanta (USA) and are trapped in a hotel paying for rooms on a daily basis waiting to get any flight back to UK our cases are still at the airport lost in baggage reclaims. Having to buy new clothes until cases are found. Costs are mounting daily and money is quickly running out. We are a family of nine, so you can imagine the costs.
              We are all hoping the government step in to repatriate all of us and the thousands of others caught up inthis disaster.

John kinch.
Oddjob18/04/2010 22:08:29
1635 forum posts
79 photos
John

You have my deepest sympathy my friend.  However, the Government (by which I mean the taxpayers of course) is broke - haven't you heard?  I feel sure that your insurers will cover the costs of your extended holiday!

Richard
Sparky18/04/2010 22:14:46
7631 forum posts
22 photos
John
My heart goes out to you and all the others. This is going to be one of the most expensive months on record for thousands of people...........I just hope the banks offer help in this bad time..............well, we did bail them out didn't we.

I also had a thought for the stranded overseas is for the cruise ships to offer help in some way............even if its 25% of the cost of normal price, it would help so many............perhaps the government will step in!!................not.

We have noticed a lot of single seater planes flying around..........I bet there in there eliment flying anywhere they like..........

Good luck anyway.

Marc

John Kinch19/04/2010 02:33:44
206 forum posts
91 photos
 Richard and Marc, thanks for your sympathy but the insurance companies have already found their getout by declaring it as an act of God and they are not liable for it. But we are booked onto a flight on Saturday from here in Atlanta to Detroit to Amsterdam to Heathrow, arriving Sunday 26th.
   John kinch.
Sparky19/04/2010 16:15:04
7631 forum posts
22 photos
I watched a film the other night called 'The man who sued God' (2001)......

.Billy Connolly plays Steve Myers, a lawyer who became a fisherman from frustration. When his one piece of property, his boat, is struck by lightning and destroyed he is denied insurance money because it was 'an act of God'. He re-registers as a lawyer and sues the insurance company and the church under the geise of God, defending himself.
Steve dramatically files a claim against God, naming the Pope and the local Bishop as representatives of God, and thereby the respondents. The Pope, the Bishop, their respective lawyers, as well as their insurance company get together to find a way to settle this dilemma, which does catch the fancy of the media. It is in Court that God's representatives will have to admit that Steve's yacht was actually His Act, accept it, and compensate him, or deny it altogether, and thereby deny His existence, and leave the onus on Steve to prove his claim

Wouldn't it be good if this was done again for real (if it hasn't already been tried!)

Marc
Sparky19/04/2010 16:21:23
7631 forum posts
22 photos
On that note I found this...............

A US judge has thrown out a case against God, ruling that because the defendant has no address, legal papers cannot be served.

The suit was launched by Nebraska state senator Ernie Chambers, who said he might appeal against the ruling.

He sought a permanent injunction to prevent the "death, destruction and terrorisation" caused by God.

Judge Marlon Polk said in his ruling that a plaintiff must have access to the defendant for a case to proceed.

"Given that this court finds that there can never be service effectuated on the named defendant this action will be dismissed with prejudice," Judge Polk wrote in his ruling.

Mr Chambers cannot refile the suit but may appeal.

'God knows everything'

Mr Chambers sued God last year. He said God had threatened him and the people of Nebraska and had inflicted "widespread death, destruction and terrorisation of millions upon millions of the Earth's inhabitants".

He said he would carefully consider Judge Polk's ruling before deciding whether to appeal.

The court, Mr Chambers said, had acknowledged the existence of God and "a consequence of that acknowledgement is a recognition of God's omniscience".

"Since God knows everything," he reasoned, "God has notice of this lawsuit."

Mr Chambers, a state senator for 38 years, said he filed the suit to make the point that "anyone can sue anyone else, even God".

Hmmm
George Arnold19/04/2010 19:40:14
1834 forum posts
191 photos
John
I hope your arrangements for your return hold up. there is talk of some flights from Scotland and the north tomorrow.
Sparky
Your arguement is much to deep for me, I would not want to upset him , time to meet him is getting closer by the day,unless i am issued with a shovel?
 Ralph
As we import 60% of our food it is bound to have an effect on the food chain,and have a serious effect on the workers that produce the food on low pay to satisfy our appitite for cheap food
Roger
You should know if there is a way of dodging their responsabilities they will take it
Andy
 Look what you started, it would not have worked for any of the other super markets, any way I thought it was Mum who went to Iceland

George

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Transwave 2017
Chippendale
Tool Post
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact