By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Bandsaw set up problems

Basto 4

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Cristoff18/09/2008 17:51:00
76 forum posts
21 photos

Hi has anyone out there got the scheppach basto 4 and could give me some set up tips as i always seem to struggle with the set up of mine i am sure its a good machine but without a perfect set up very frustrating

|Thanks Chris

Olly Parry-Jones18/09/2008 18:09:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

Hi Chris,

I don't know if there are many people here with this particular machine but, if you list some of the problems you're having, I'm sure we'll be able to help.

George Arnold18/09/2008 19:47:00
1834 forum posts
191 photos

Chris

I am sure all band saw set ups are basicaly the same, Record do or did , a c/d Band Saw Master Class with Alan Holam if you can get hold of one I am sure that will answer most of your questions,

George

George Arnold18/09/2008 19:48:00
1834 forum posts
191 photos

Sorry Alan Holtham is the name

George

Cristoff19/09/2008 16:33:00
76 forum posts
21 photos

The problems i have are on changing a blade i set the side guides up to the blade then back off a slight amount also doing the same with the rear guide, Tension of the blade is a bit of a mystery to me so i just use common sense and leave a tiny amount of play there but i will say the tension iknob on my machine needs a good hard turn to get it there but having said that i feel the tension is ok, both wheels in line with a straightedge, just as per instructions with the saw and also in line with many printed articles i have read

When using the saw i do not ram the workpiece into the blade i apply gentle pressure but the blade always gets pushed back into the rear stop which i believe it is designed to do but this causes scoring on the stop (is This Normal) and also on doing this the blade moving back caused the teeth to catch on the side guides causing sparks which cant be right,

Also how much noise should a bandsaw make i have read articles where people describe their saws as screeching like a steam train, but what is classed as excessive noise, it sound wrong to me,

I am sure the sheppach Basto 4 is a good saw but unless i can solve these problems i am loath to use it.

Any comments would be welcome

Thanks Chris

Andy King19/09/2008 17:04:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
Hi Chris, sounds like you either need to track the blade slightly forwards as it shouldn't allow the set of the teeth to address the side bearings under load, or move the thrust bearing closer to the back of the blade. The thrust bearing should be only 1mm or so from the back of the blade when free running. If you need to adjust the tracking,the knob at the back (with the locking turnscrew) needs to be adjusted so that the teeth of the blade move forwards on the wheels, and should be pretty well central or slightly forwards of the wheels tyre. If you back the side bearings well back so the blade has only the thrust bearings up in position, the tension should be around 6-10mm deflection under thumb pressure when pushed from the sides with the guide post right up at its highest position, but this will likely need tweaking to get the cut working well, its simply ballpark. Once it tracks the side guides can be moved into position, and it should be that when the thrust bearing engages, the side bearings should be positioned with the edges of the wheels just behind the tooth gullets. As for scoring the thrust bearing, two things here, one, it may be slightly seized so a bit of WD40 may help, but for me, I have never understood a bearing that spins having something running across its face, and in doing so, making it pretty difficult for it to do so! Some bandsaws have swung the thrust bearing through 90 degrees so the blade actually touches the edge and spins it as its designed to do. Makes far more sense to me! As for the noise, could be a combination of the guides being set wrong and also the tension. I looked at this saw a couple of issues back and it worked really well, with none of the problems you have mentioned. Hope this helps. Andy
Cristoff18/09/2008 17:51:00
76 forum posts
21 photos

Hi has anyone out there got the scheppach basto 4 and could give me some set up tips as i always seem to struggle with the set up of mine i am sure its a good machine but without a perfect set up very frustrating

|Thanks Chris

Olly Parry-Jones18/09/2008 18:09:00
2776 forum posts
636 photos

Hi Chris,

I don't know if there are many people here with this particular machine but, if you list some of the problems you're having, I'm sure we'll be able to help.

George Arnold18/09/2008 19:47:00
1834 forum posts
191 photos

Chris

I am sure all band saw set ups are basicaly the same, Record do or did , a c/d Band Saw Master Class with Alan Holam if you can get hold of one I am sure that will answer most of your questions,

George

George Arnold18/09/2008 19:48:00
1834 forum posts
191 photos

Sorry Alan Holtham is the name

George

Cristoff19/09/2008 16:33:00
76 forum posts
21 photos

The problems i have are on changing a blade i set the side guides up to the blade then back off a slight amount also doing the same with the rear guide, Tension of the blade is a bit of a mystery to me so i just use common sense and leave a tiny amount of play there but i will say the tension iknob on my machine needs a good hard turn to get it there but having said that i feel the tension is ok, both wheels in line with a straightedge, just as per instructions with the saw and also in line with many printed articles i have read

When using the saw i do not ram the workpiece into the blade i apply gentle pressure but the blade always gets pushed back into the rear stop which i believe it is designed to do but this causes scoring on the stop (is This Normal) and also on doing this the blade moving back caused the teeth to catch on the side guides causing sparks which cant be right,

Also how much noise should a bandsaw make i have read articles where people describe their saws as screeching like a steam train, but what is classed as excessive noise, it sound wrong to me,

I am sure the sheppach Basto 4 is a good saw but unless i can solve these problems i am loath to use it.

Any comments would be welcome

Thanks Chris

Andy King19/09/2008 17:04:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
Hi Chris, sounds like you either need to track the blade slightly forwards as it shouldn't allow the set of the teeth to address the side bearings under load, or move the thrust bearing closer to the back of the blade. The thrust bearing should be only 1mm or so from the back of the blade when free running. If you need to adjust the tracking,the knob at the back (with the locking turnscrew) needs to be adjusted so that the teeth of the blade move forwards on the wheels, and should be pretty well central or slightly forwards of the wheels tyre. If you back the side bearings well back so the blade has only the thrust bearings up in position, the tension should be around 6-10mm deflection under thumb pressure when pushed from the sides with the guide post right up at its highest position, but this will likely need tweaking to get the cut working well, its simply ballpark. Once it tracks the side guides can be moved into position, and it should be that when the thrust bearing engages, the side bearings should be positioned with the edges of the wheels just behind the tooth gullets. As for scoring the thrust bearing, two things here, one, it may be slightly seized so a bit of WD40 may help, but for me, I have never understood a bearing that spins having something running across its face, and in doing so, making it pretty difficult for it to do so! Some bandsaws have swung the thrust bearing through 90 degrees so the blade actually touches the edge and spins it as its designed to do. Makes far more sense to me! As for the noise, could be a combination of the guides being set wrong and also the tension. I looked at this saw a couple of issues back and it worked really well, with none of the problems you have mentioned. Hope this helps. Andy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Tormek
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact