By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

A wonderful donation

Bury Woodturners have something to play with

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ron Davis14/04/2010 19:38:47
1619 forum posts
201 photos
The Bury St Edmunds Woodturning Club have been on the lookout for a cheap second hand lathe, and friend of Micks said her brother had one. He came all the way down from Nothumberland and gave us a Tyme Cub Lathe, a set of tools, a Craft Supplies combination chuck and a lot of wood. The instruction book is dated 1988, but it is all in perfect working order.

Having used a Tyme cub in the past I know they are a nice lathe to use.

There was one stipulation, the huge oak burr had to be made into something special! I undertook this onerous task and made a bowl and a clock.

The only problem is that we have to put it in a car club  nights, and it had 1 metre bed bars. It is suggested that we cut the bars! So if you happen to have a spare set of these bars, my inbox is ready for your message!

Seriously a wonderfull gift, for which we are very gratefull

Ron
Ralph Harvey14/04/2010 22:30:44
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Thats great Ron

Have had a go on the Tyme Cub before i borrowed one from Dave Roberts to do a small demo a while back, it is a very nice lathe i am sure you will get some great use out of it.

Is it for your club to use or for visiting demonstrators ? either way look forward to more pictures of work produced by your club.

Ralph
Ron Davis17/04/2010 17:44:23
1619 forum posts
201 photos
We havent had time to decide what to do yet, probably both of your suggestions

Ron
George Arnold19/04/2010 19:45:22
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Ron
Nice one from the look of your egg cup  comp  it will be well used.

George
Ron Davis19/04/2010 22:27:56
1619 forum posts
201 photos
We have had a good look at the lathe tonight, we have found that the thread seems to be different to the 3/4 by 16 whitworth we expected. i have looked for tyme lathes on the web and found that the 3/4 by 16 was an optional extra. Any one know where we can get spares for this lathe?I have found that spares are now made by Multico, who have problems with their web site at present.

We need to have a decent chuck and face plate for club use and an unusual thread makes it difficult to find fittings

Ron

dennis wake20/04/2010 07:05:10
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Ron
    if your lathe thread is 3/4 by 16 then it is more likly to be 3/4 UNF  the same as most other lathes that i know of. The way to check it is meseure the thread width and also measeure the thread over 1" and count the number of threads you get . if this is 3/4 by 16 threads then it is as i pointed out earlyer the thread is definatly 3/4 UNF. heare is a link to a UNC and UNF thread chart to help you.>here
  hope this is of help.
dennis
dennis wake20/04/2010 07:33:07
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Ron
   just been looking on web for the lath you are on about and come up with this site >here hope this is of use .and also >here they are mentioning the tyme cub in the the chucks on the left hand side
dennis
Oddjob20/04/2010 09:02:08
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Ron
My ancient Coronet Major has a 7/8 x16 thread but I have an adaptor to reduce to the more common 3/4 x 16.  It cost about £5 three years ago from a local engineer.

Richard
Ron Davis20/04/2010 20:14:14
1619 forum posts
201 photos
That is what I like about this site, you only have to ask.

Thanks Dennis, I see that the thread in you link is 20mm * 2mm, which is very near the 3/4 *16 Unf, which Tyme offered as an optional extra. I had found the first site you mentioned, and got all excited at the  low prices, until I saw they were 1986 prices.

Thanks for your suggestion Richard, I think that the way forward is to  get an adaptor for my axmister chuck and use that, and keep the other accessories.

The lathe came with a Craft Supplies Chuck of around 1988 vintage and seems to have a million parts to it!, Not good for a demo.

Ron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact