By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Invesment opportunity

Pre order your english walnut now

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Ron Davis12/04/2010 16:37:26
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Last year I pulled a sapling from the garden, and found it was a walnut tree in the making.

Now this is your opportunity to lay in a stock of English Walnut, I will grow the tree on and in a hundred years or so it will be cut down and seasoned. ( If my descendants can be bothered!) and the best bits reserved for your descendants ( If they want it)

Offers to me, please best price per cubic foot secures your supply of walnut

Ron
Malc12/04/2010 18:25:36
411 forum posts
63 photos
Thanks Ron, I'll have some.
Please find enclosed post dated cheque - 12th April 2110 for £3,000,000.
Thanks.
Sparky12/04/2010 19:34:36
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Ron,

Great idea though I think Malc's payment will be way to short...........add a few noughts on the end and maybe near enough for a branch!

Marc
George Arnold12/04/2010 19:52:21
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Ron
 By the time the tree is ready to fell somebody will have put a preservation order on it, or some insurance company will order it to be removed as it takes too much water out of the ground causing subsidence, or health and safety will decide trees have an effect on the enviroment and ban them altogether!
 I think you should put the cheque through as the banks often don't read the cheque when it is presented

I agree with Sparky I don't think he has allowed for Vat and the price of diesel. (I paid over the £1-20 a litre Sunday ) I can't say I recomend it as a good investment, but admire your effort. to sustain the timber availability for the future.

George
Ralph Harvey12/04/2010 22:48:06
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Ron

I would pick something a bit quicker to grow, I always used to have a Eucaliptus tree in my garden, 5 - 8 years and you would have a trunk about 8 - 10" diameter 4 - 5'  long !

Or a Cornish palm will grow quite well too, never got round to cutting that one down befor i moved, would love to get hold of some it has a very striking grain !

Just need to water and stop the better half pinching out the top "so it wont grow too tall"  She prefers a shorter more bushy tree.

Ralph
Ron Davis13/04/2010 19:23:02
1619 forum posts
201 photos
George, you are a pessimist!, I see this as a wonderful investment, not only the capital gains but the income from selling the walnuts, and all for ree as the birds must have dropped the walnut in my garden. Interesting thought 'Elf and Safety in conflict with a tree preservation order.

Sadly Georges pessimism has proved to be true as the Post Office have lost Malc's cheque..........

Ron

Edited By Ron Davis on 13/04/2010 19:24:00

George Arnold14/04/2010 12:57:30
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Ron
I take your points, but I am sorry to see there is no F in free nuts anymore, hard luck with the post, you can't win every time, perhaps Ralph's advice will be of some help, you never know there may be a grant available to help with your efforts in reforestation

George

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Felder UK April 2016
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Turners Tool Box
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Tormek
D&M Tools
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact