Leigh Super Jig review

Trend CDJ 300

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
BT12/09/2008 12:48:00
7 forum posts

hello

I have a Trend CDJ 300 Dovetail Jig

The problem is I never seem to get a tight fit between the male and female joints

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Brian T

Andy King12/09/2008 13:25:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
Hi Brian, These type of comb jigs rely on fine tuning the height of the cutter to tighten or slacken the joint. If you use a couple of test pieces, make the joint as normal, and if it is too slack, lower the cutter projection marginally, this will make the tails slightly wider and should tighten the joint. (raising the cutter will loosen a tight joint) You may need to have a few test pieces ready to cut a few joints until you get the fit right. The manual should give you the depth of cut needed, so it should only be a very small amount needed to adjust the fit. A fine height adjust on the router is ideal in these situations. Once you have a joint that is perfect, cut a sample and use it as a setting gauge for the next time you use it and it should eliminate trial and error set ups. hope this helps. Andy
BT14/09/2008 12:02:00
7 forum posts

Hi Andy

Thanks I have now produced a fine set of draw joints

Regards Brian T

BT12/09/2008 12:48:00
7 forum posts

hello

I have a Trend CDJ 300 Dovetail Jig

The problem is I never seem to get a tight fit between the male and female joints

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Brian T

Andy King12/09/2008 13:25:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles
Hi Brian, These type of comb jigs rely on fine tuning the height of the cutter to tighten or slacken the joint. If you use a couple of test pieces, make the joint as normal, and if it is too slack, lower the cutter projection marginally, this will make the tails slightly wider and should tighten the joint. (raising the cutter will loosen a tight joint) You may need to have a few test pieces ready to cut a few joints until you get the fit right. The manual should give you the depth of cut needed, so it should only be a very small amount needed to adjust the fit. A fine height adjust on the router is ideal in these situations. Once you have a joint that is perfect, cut a sample and use it as a setting gauge for the next time you use it and it should eliminate trial and error set ups. hope this helps. Andy
BT14/09/2008 12:02:00
7 forum posts

Hi Andy

Thanks I have now produced a fine set of draw joints

Regards Brian T

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Triton
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Tormek
D B Keighley
Tool Post
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact