By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

maths!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bickers05/04/2010 18:46:22
9 forum posts
Hi Guys

looking for some advice again  one of my friends has asked if i could price up and make her a small dining table (if price is right)  my problem is trying to work out how much wood i need i know the sizes of the individual parts but how do i work out the cost per cubic metre/ft i have tried various things i found one line but i just can't make sense of it (think i must be a bit thick) all my sizes are in mm so converting to m3 probably best.

if you are still with me thanks for reading any help would be great

Sparky05/04/2010 19:11:59
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Bickers

I know what I would do because I cant work it all out either but, hopefully someone else will know the right way..

Draw up a plan of what wood you will be needing, break it down to sizes (IE 18mm x 50mm for a rail) and how long your need it,.......... add all the lengths up for each size of wood,......... then break it down to length sizes that your timber merchant sells it for, mine did 18mm x 50mm x 5m ........as well as per metre.

This is basically what I did to make the chest below. 
4 sides, base and lid, mostly made up from 18mm x 50mm..

Always add an extra metre as it only costs a few pence (depending on size of course and add that to the bill )

Hope that helps in some way.

Let us know how you get on and don't forget those images for your album

Marc

Dave Atkinson05/04/2010 19:14:08
672 forum posts
115 photos
HI

Divide the sizes you have by 1000 - this will give you the sizes in metres.

Multiply the length by the width by the depth - this will give you the number of cubic metres.

The multiply the number of cubic metres by the cost per cubic metre.

Don;t forget to allow for wastes etc

Cheers Dave 
Big Al05/04/2010 19:26:58
1604 forum posts
73 photos
I know how to work out a cubic foot, if you divide your sizes by 25.4 then this will convert your sizes into inches. To work out what cubic footage you would require just multiply the length by the width by the thickness by the quantity and divide by 1728.

Example, your dining table top is 1500mm x 750mm x 30mm and you want 1 at that size.

1500 divided by 25.4 = 59 750 divided by 25.4 = 29.5 and 30 divided by 25.4 = 1.2.

Now 59 * 29.5 * 1.2 = 2088.6 / 1728 = 1.2 this is the cubic footage of timber that you would require to make the top.

I can send you a spreadsheet that works with excel that will work out your requirements, and if you know how much the timber is per cubic foot it will also tell you how much it will cost you. There are also spaces for sheet materials, fittings, labour and finishes.

If you would like the template then send me a personal message with your email address.

Oh, and don't forget to add wastage into your calculations. Depending on the species of wood depends on wastage percentage. If using english Oak for example you would need to double your requirement, however if using american white oak then you would need to add 50%.

Al 
Bickers05/04/2010 20:57:54
9 forum posts
Hi Guys

Thanks for the fast replys 

Sparky - I normally do what you suggest but all my projects to date have been manmade boards or pine and have been for me or gifts to family and friend this is the first one using hardwood and someone elses money so i'am a bit more nervous.
Great chest by the way.

Big Al - I will need to read your post again several times very slowly i know it is good advise just me thats the prob a spreadsheet sounds great so i will pm you once i work out how

thanks again all

Sparky05/04/2010 21:10:47
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Bickers

I totally understand mate...........just remember measure 5 times, cut once

If you want to send a personal message to someone, look beneath their post and your see a row with....Message member, Ignore member, Send to friend, Quote and Report.

Just click on the Message member and your have another screen come up to write them a note..........easy peasy

Marc

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Craft Supplies
Wood Workers Workshop
Marriott & Co
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Robert Sorby
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact