By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

dennis's segmented turning's

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Big Al04/04/2010 18:58:43
1604 forum posts
73 photos
You have got a lot more patience than me dennis, I don''t think That I could be bothered to glue all those blocks together.

They certainly are different and it''s good to see someone doing something different. Have you thought of using american black walnut and sycamore? Or possibly using some purpleheart instead of the walnut.

Al 
dennis wake04/04/2010 22:22:28
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Al
    thank you for the compliments. the wood i use depends on what is givenas i have a supplier that gives me every now and a gain. of late they have only had ash,oak,mahogany and beach they some times have walnut and cherry. they are already in strips of varying thiknases. i have just finished a segmented frut bowl look in my album and you will see.
dennis 
Ralph Harvey04/04/2010 23:16:27
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Dennis

Thats the way to do it, if you can get the wood prepared ready for you thats half the battle won, and you are doing a great job with the other half !

Mind if i point out one thing that will improve your work ? try to line the segments up top to bottom when gluing them up, and talking of gluing them up i like your jig you have in your album, briliant idea there

Ralph
dennis wake04/04/2010 23:35:01
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Ralph
 the jig is from sue harker. i got the first one from her and made the second more bigger my self.it is hard to get the segments in line the way you do this i know you can do them a difrent way and i may be talking to a turner next week( as i am joining the teaside turners club) about the jig he uses and may be able to make one my self ,will have to see. i am always open to coments as it is the only way you learn so thank you.
just read back your post and the clamp is one i seen on a segmented turners site i have the abilety of making it my self all i need now is a jack. the jig i am on about is for seting up the segments like this

dennis

Edited By dennis wake on 04/04/2010 23:45:53

Alan T.05/04/2010 08:53:51
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Hello Dennis, Add me to the list of those who envy your patience and persistence. Alan T
dennis wake05/04/2010 14:18:03
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Alan
 again thank you for your comments. my next 2 segmented work are the wine bottle stopper set for 2 friends.
dennis
Sparky06/04/2010 13:12:17
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Again you show us your skill Dennis.

After 'trying' a segmented bowl myself, I know what goes into trying to line up all the pieces and it seems the more you try to get it spot on, the more it isn't.........trust your eye and use a piece of straight wood holding it upright when looking side on, this can help.......so I've been told..

Regarding the car jack, you may be able to get away without using one. On your picture below,

It looks like you have a wooden bar in which you use for downward pressure, if you use a square metal tube you can increase the pressure of your clamps. You only need a bit about 20 inches long and maybe able to get it free from a scrap dealer which will save you getting the jack. Tie it under the bar and the upright clamp attachment you have already have.

Just a thought.

Great stuff none the less, well done mate

Marc
dennis wake06/04/2010 16:15:35
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Marc
   this attachment was all made at work wile on nights last week9 and free of charge). the cross beam is rectangular section and a flat plate under neeth. i can get a way with the clamps but the jack ( that has been given to me) is better as while tightening it the segments will not move as all the force is in a straight line.thank you for the idea i will beare them in mind
dennis
Ron Davis06/04/2010 17:23:40
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Dennis, I do like the suit, did you smarten up just for us?

You are getting me going about semented turning now......

Ron
dennis wake06/04/2010 17:31:19
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Ron
 i have tryed segmented turning but the semented turning never tryed that is it easy to do.i look forward to seeing the segmented turning from you if you do try it . 

no not just for you that is a photo of when i was at the falklands rememberans service down london in 2007 as you can see from it the medal is worn with pride.
dennis
Ron Davis06/04/2010 19:39:07
1619 forum posts
201 photos
Well done with that Dennis, itcould not have been easy down there

Ron
dennis wake06/04/2010 21:23:13
2044 forum posts
1451 photos
1 articles
hi Ron
   it was scary at times. especialy when the alarms go of and the tanoy is blering out aircraft inbound and you have to stop what you are doing and close the ship down in to sections to reduse the risk of sinking if hit by a 1000lb bomb.
dennis

ps sory for the miky take on the semented turning just could not resist ( i know you will get me back.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact