By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

extraction system

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
sad sam09/09/2008 19:20:00
597 forum posts
234 photos

i have bought a record dx 4000 dust extracter from e bay it is a bargain

iwant to set up an extraction system to connect a bandsaw panelsaw a p/thicknesser and arouter table to it

what iwant to know is what size pipe will be ok i have seen some 50mm diameter quite cheap in bq but am unsure as to whether it will be big enough

also any ideas on dampers

Andy King09/09/2008 20:23:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles

Hi Sam,

I think the DX4000 is the one with the twin motors?
If so, if I recall correctly, Record used to state that using both motors its designed for a 4in/100mm pipe, but if you link it to narrower bore such as 50mm/2in or small bore hose for routers, sanders etc, then you should only use one motor as the suction power is too much for the smaller bore hose and it will overload the unit.

hope this helps.

Andy

Andy King09/09/2008 20:31:00
170 forum posts
8 photos
19 articles

Oops! Just read the question again. If you are using a planer thicknesser, a bigger bore 100mm etc is best as the airflow is increased so more efficient. A bigger bore is best if the extractor airflow allows it, so i'd look at a 100mm pipework with maybe a reducer to 50mm on a blastgate for the sander router etc, using one motor as recommended by Record for this purpose.
I have a 63mm pipe system in my workshop which is fine for thicknessing narrower boards or jointing  but working a thicker cut often overwhelms the pipe and it blocks around the planer dust port, especially on pine with sharp knifes.
Ideally, the planer would be best kept as close as possible to the extractor with minimal bends or pipe runs for the best results.

Andy

sad sam11/09/2008 11:23:00
597 forum posts
234 photos
thanks andy ill keep what youve said in mind any ideas on making blast gates
Richard Dow14/09/2008 00:45:00
25 forum posts

hi sad sam,i got a great deal off good tips and pictures and a drawing off blastgates in a book by scott landis. the workshop book published by Taunton press .order it in your local libary and save a bundle.a real good read.tips on everything and real workshops. 

sad sam14/09/2008 10:52:00
597 forum posts
234 photos
thanks Richard i ll order it tomorrow
Delete16/09/2008 23:28:00
575 forum posts

I used Grey Waste pipe 100mm dia for my extraction system similar in principal to Keith Smith's in the latest Woodworker. My blastgates are high attached to the high main pipe. All the Hoses connecting machines either 50 mm or 100 mm go to the high pipe. I rewired the Record Extractor to allow the switches to be in the workshop not on the extractor in the dust collection shed outside the workshop. I used the Axminster plastic Blast gates they were cheap and work well. Several years on and there is no significant wear. I did put a screw access plate on the end of the pipe sp it could be roded out in case of a blockage. The one place where I did have a problem was at the collection end I had 2 90 deg elbows. The first turned from a horizontal feed to vertical and the second bach to horizontal. I found that if the extractor was getting full I could get a back up of shavings and dust so the Lower Elbow was replaced with one which has a roding port. Problem solved

Doug17/09/2008 06:18:00
3415 forum posts
35 photos

Sam

If you put "extraction" in the "search forum" box at the top of this thread, & change the other box to "titles", you`ll find quite a lot of info thats already been discussed.

If i`m trying to teach you to suck eggs & you`ve already done this, my apologies.

Baz 

sad sam17/09/2008 12:24:00
597 forum posts
234 photos
thanks to everyone who has offered help and advice and no baz you are not teaching me to such eggs i need the help im useless at these computors but im slowly getting there
Richard Dow22/09/2008 21:40:00
25 forum posts

hi sad sam,im new to this site and am very new to threads  and stuff.with reference to the book. the workshopbook i also tried to order it from my local libary here in denmark but the copy we had has gone missing.we saw that a second hand copy can be purchased from amozon.com at around a fiver money well spent. im going to check my self out a copy but the vat here cranks the price up soill have to pay 4 times the price.

the book was written in 1991 but is still in print just.

i seem to remember something about static electricity being dangerous  and there has to be good earthing but this must be normal with metal work in the workshop.

that serch forum has to be good try eh.regards richard. 

Delete22/09/2008 22:33:00
575 forum posts

Hi Richard

Welcome to the Forum. Yes you are right Static electricity can cause an explosion when dust is present. However I have never heard of a Woodworking shop having been blown up. I have heard of problems in Flower Mills and places where there is a lot of very fine powder. Having said that If you use a metal pipe and ground it that is the perfect system. Most of us use plastic pipes, the way to earth the system is to run a bare copper wire through the inside of the pipe work and ground it. That will make certain that any build up of static is not allowed to happen.

Any questions please ask.

Good luck

Roger

Richard Dow22/09/2008 22:54:00
25 forum posts

hi roger

thanks for that info it did jolt my grey stuff,the copper wire in the sytem gives it all the same potential ie perfect earth.

is it possible to see drawings off blast gates and stuff,that roding port has me stumpped.

all the best regards,richard.

Delete23/09/2008 08:40:00
575 forum posts

If you Google a company called "Screwfix" They sell the Roding Port.

Here is a Link   http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11971/Plumbing/Soil-Vent/92-5-Access-Bend-Grey  

The inside of the screw cap has a fairing which stops a build up of dust etc on the curve.

I used one of these of allow me to clear any blockage just before the dust and chippings leave the workshop and enter the collection system in a small shed outside the workshop.

I also used an end cap to allow roding down the main pipe

Here is a link for the end cap   http://www.screwfix.com/prods/16026/Plumbing/Soil-Vent/Screw-On-End-Cap-Grey

I hope this helps. I dont know what materials are available in Denmark but I guess there must be something on these lines.

Good luck on the search.

Richard Dow23/09/2008 16:22:00
25 forum posts

hi roger b

i get the general idea i hve a nose in the local d.i.y shop.cheers.

all the best,richa.

Delete23/09/2008 20:04:00
575 forum posts

Its a pity my Daughter is not working in Copenhagen any more SHe could have helped you get some bits from the UK. About 6 months ago she transfered to Head Office in Washington USA.

Roger

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Transwave 2017
Felder UK April 2016
Triton
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
D&M Tools
D B Keighley
Chippendale
Turners Tool Box
Tool Post
Tormek
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact