By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Bargain Glue Gun

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ralph Harvey02/04/2010 12:05:26
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
I have just had to replace my glue gun again !

Trouble is i turn it on when i go in the shed and off if i remember when i go out ? in fact there is very little turning i do without my glue gun.

So i trawled the internet for the best value without spending too much because it will wear out in another 6 months and i dont want to spend too little because it probably wouldnt last 6 months !

Eventually i found a Stanley glue gun in Homebase for around £10.50 ish but thats not the bargain. For a small payment of £3 it is covered to be replaced free for 3 years !!! Bargain...

I even explained how i am not the best at looking after it and often leave it on all day, i even said that i do go through them every 6 - 8 months because of what i do, and this i was told " is exactly why i should spend the £3 ! "

Ralph
Sparky02/04/2010 12:09:44
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Nice one Ralph, that sure is a bargain
Oddjob02/04/2010 16:11:20
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Ralph

Ralph, it is not a bargain - you have been taken advantage of.

You have paid £3 for an insurance policy that should be totally unnecessary.  The sale of the policy is another product and almost certainly provides Homebase with more profit than does the sale of the glue gun!  With any purchase you can expect that the goods should be "fit for purpose" and this is a legal right. This means that with reasonable use they should have a reasonable life.  6 months for a glue gun is far from reasonable Do the instructions say not to leave your glue guns on for more than a specific time?  If not, you may reasonably assume that you can leave them switched on.  A thermostat should prevent them from overheating.

When any electrical product fails within 12 months of proper use you should return it to the retailer for repair or replacement.  Do not be fobbed off with "we'll send it back to the manufacturer to see what they say."  You joined in a Sales Contract with the retailer and it is the retailer, not the manufacturer who is responsible for the warranty. (Note that there are a few legal variations to this - cars particularly though the retailer still has an obligation to sell you something that "is fit for purpose."

If the retailer does not immediately a)replace or offer substantial discount on a replacement, or b)agree to get it repaired within a reasonable timescale - 10 days max. then it is time to loudly inform them of your rights and their obligations.  You will get satisfaction if you are vocal enough!

£3.00 is not a lot of money as you say, (about a pint of beer!) but 28% on the purchase price certainly is!  You wouldn't pay nearly 30% extra for the 3 year warranty that comes with a new car - or would you?  Would you pay nearly £400 for a television that is listed at £300 and can reasonably be expected to function properly for many hours per day for probably 5 years or so?

I have never bought one of these so-called extended warranties and never will do.  I can assure you that I am well in pocket as a result.

Richard

Edited By Oddjob on 02/04/2010 16:13:20

Alan T.02/04/2010 19:13:28
1033 forum posts
98 photos
Neither have I Richard,they are just a rip off as you point out.  Alan T.
Big Al02/04/2010 22:23:25
1604 forum posts
73 photos
I cant stand it when you go into a shop and try to purchase an item, only for the shop assistant plugging an unnecessary insurance/extended warranty. PC world are terrible for it, if you wont agree to their extorsinate ( sorry cant spell this one) service agreement, they plaster it on your receipt. 

Richard is right, any goods sold should last at least a year, if not, then they are not fit for the purpose for which they were sold for.

Al 
Ralph Harvey03/04/2010 00:43:58
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Normaly i would agree and i wont usually buy extended waranties or insurances but the way i treat my glue guns is not realy fit for purpose i will post some pictures of the "dead" ones they are not nice.

I accept that they are only good for 6 months and i am more than happy with what they do for me, and as i say i cant realy manage without one, the last week waiting for the funds to find its way into my bank has been a nightmare and i havnt managed to do anything out there so i dont mind buying them,

The fact that it has only cost me £3 for the next 3 years couldl save me about £50 or about the cost of another 5 glue guns so in this case i am happy to pay it.

Ralph
George Arnold03/04/2010 11:37:43
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Ralph
It looks as if this once it is the right thing to do, surely the maximum original makers cover would not have extended for more than a year, I hope you don't come unstuck with something in the small print?

George
Ralph Harvey03/04/2010 22:49:41
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Lets hope so George,

At least the glue gun looks a good value tool this time will see next week how it works, its got a duel heat control on it but i expect it will be on the hot setting for all i do with it, and  it gets up to temperature in about 3 - 5 minutes apparently, so thats quite good too.

Ralph
Sparky04/04/2010 18:33:30
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Hi Ralph

Just reading on from this thread, 
Is your gun the GR25?

If so, I will ask you to take care when squeezing the trigger when the glue isn't heated up to its right softness.

I've spent many an hour clearing all the hardened glue from around the inlet chamber when its oozed out the wrong way...........and if you don't get it all out it can jam up the trigger mechanism inside and you'll need a special tool for the type of screw that fixes the two halves of the gun assembly. .........luckily, your have a good excuse to get it repaired/replaced

Other than that, it is quite a good gun.

Marc

Edited By sparky on 04/04/2010 18:34:44

Ralph Harvey04/04/2010 23:07:15
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Yes Marc

Thats the one i have, i had one before that did that too a Lidle one & its painfull when you get burnt by the glue especially trying to get it off,  still like you say i can always get a replacement if it goes wrong ?

I was down your way today, well near, spent the day at Marwell Zoo Photographing the animals, its amazing how much wood is wasted at the zoo, some realy nice burrs just sitting in the pens so the animals can scratch there claws ? waste really.

Ralph
Sparky05/04/2010 18:45:20
7631 forum posts
22 photos
Ralph
You should of popped in for a cuppa mate.

I do hope the burrs weren't in the lion/tiger enclosure..........I was thinking of popping over and getting some when their backs were turned!

They still have plenty of home grown trees around that area and maybe a good idea to ask them.

Marc
George Arnold06/04/2010 16:25:04
1834 forum posts
191 photos
Ralph
Perhaps you are not spending enough on a glue gun,for the amount you use one ! I think perhaps you need an industrial gun I see Stanley do one that shuts of after 15 minutes if it is not used, I see also that you must use the correct dia stick for the gun. as if it is undersize the hot glue can come back into the gun.just a few thoughts on the subject. hope the one you have chosen does the job for you.

George
Ralph Harvey06/04/2010 22:41:09
3274 forum posts
315 photos
2 articles
Thanks George

I have considered a couple of the more expensive ones, but I am a little bit stuck when it comes to the cost of what i buy, ( there never seems to be enough ) and wood is often at the top of the finance list.

Funny you say that about the glue sticks i thought they only came in 2 sizes but they do seem a little looser in one gun than the other but both take the 11mm stick ?

should be out there at the end of the week if nothing else crops up so will let you know how it works.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker & Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker & Good Woodworking 

Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Triton
Transwave 2017
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Robert Sorby
Marriott & Co
Craft Supplies
Tormek
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
D&M Tools
Chippendale
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact