By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Which table saw?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
roger staten22/03/2010 12:35:32
23 forum posts
9 photos
Would welcome any advise on choosing a table saw. Never had one and only a diy person, but would welcome the opportunity to be able cut wood down to size. I have looked at:

Sealey Table Saw with Stand & Extension Wings 10" / 254mm Blade 1500w 240v

Draper Table Saw with Extension Wings & Stand + 2 Blades 10" / 254mm Blade 1500w 240v

Ryobi ETS-1525SC Table Saw with Sliding Carriage 10" / 254mm Blade 1500w 240v

For the DIY person which would be the best machine to enable general cutting of timber to size?

Does anyone have an opinion?

Kind regards
roger

Edited By sparky on 22/03/2010 14:32:04

Oddjob22/03/2010 13:42:23
1635 forum posts
79 photos
Roger

The saws you mention range from around £175 to £240.  This is very much the low end of the table saw market.  It is often said that you get what you pay for (if you're lucky that is!).  However, if that is your budget, then that is what you have to work to.

I don't rate the mentioned saws very highly at all.  I suggest you try Axminster.  They have a couple within your price range.  With a little fettling and a new blade (Freud) theirs can be very good.

If you want accuracy, durability and a quiet induction motor you will need to at least double your budget I am afraid.

Finally, do you really need a 10" blade?  If you can manage with an 8" then you will get better quality for your money.  Also, unless you intend to do a lot of sheet work, the wings and sliding carriages are luxuries you can do without.

Good luck

Richard
roger staten22/03/2010 14:25:43
23 forum posts
9 photos
Thanks Richard.
I have had a look at axminster and found their BTS 10PP bench at 220.
Thats in my budget and looks a good canidate.
regards
roger

Victor Hamshoo06/06/2010 19:44:20
21 forum posts
I took a look on the Axminster site and couldn't see this model you've mentioned Roger ???, I've been looking at the Triton workcentre 2000, does anyone on here own one?
John Peachey11/06/2010 22:19:02
11 forum posts
Posted by Victor Hamshoo on 06/06/2010 19:44:20:
 I've been looking at the Triton workcentre 2000, does anyone on here own one?

I've had one for a few years now. They are a faff to set up, but do work very well. If you do get one get the dust bag and device to raise and lower the saw blade.

They seem to cut accurately, and being mobile are great if like me, you have a miniscule workshop. They are great if you just want a bit for DIY, although I do think they are a bit pricey. I wouldn't be without mine.

When I win the lottery and get a decent workshop, then I'll probably upgrade. So doubt it will happen soon

Victor Hamshoo12/06/2010 16:08:19
21 forum posts
Thanks for the reply John, I realise they are a DIY type of tool and agree with you on the price being a bit high, yep its definately the space issue with me, I thought about a bench-top saw, but as the triton is 'table-like' I thought it would be better for accuracy. It does look like a tool you'd have to spend a bit of time on set up each time you switched 'mode', appreciate your honest appraisal.

Jim
John Peachey20/06/2010 20:57:45
11 forum posts
Hi Jim, Once set up there isn't a lot of set up. i very rarely change mode. All I check is that the blade is square to the table, and that the legs have spread correctly. As it can affect the squareness. As I say I like mine, and it's a simple way to have a saw bench and router table, which can be folded away, when I want to do some turning. John
OldHand21/06/2010 10:50:35
11 forum posts
Although it is rather extensive and possibly intimidating, Roger might like to look at the following when making up his mind when buying a saw, even for the simplest use:

http://tinyurl.com/2ambsye

Jeff Gorman
www.amgron.clara.net

roger staten21/06/2010 12:34:31
23 forum posts
9 photos
I have had the Axminster BTS 10PP bench at 220 for 3 months now and are very pleased with the purchase. regards
David McGovern12/09/2010 20:42:34
8 forum posts
I had a Triton 2000 workcentre for  several years and while they are OK I found I had to fiddle with it each time I set it up to get the saw blade square to the fence. Might be a different matter if you leave it set up but it was fiddly and a pain.

In the end I decided to get a saw table. I bout the Axminster TS200 which is currently on sale £335. I cant fault it for the money. The only gripe I have with it is that the instructions that come with it are pretty poor so the initial assembly was fiddly but once you get it assembled its fine.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of The Woodworker incorporating Good Woodworking? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find The Woodworker inc Good Woodworking 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Felder UK April 2016
Wood Workers Workshop
Peter Sefton IMPROVE FAST LONG
Triton
Transwave 2017
D&M Tools
Tool Post
Tormek
Chippendale
D B Keighley
Turners Tool Box
Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    The Woodworker Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Contact Us

We're always happy to hear from you, so feel free to get in touch!

Click here to find who to contact